Tuesday, September 24, 2024

MSU doesn't fully comply with fire drill policy

Although MSU is in violation of the state’s fire prevention code for fire and tornado drills in university buildings, they likely will not change practices or be penalized.

The Michigan Bureau of Fire Services has no current plans to charge university officials with a misdemeanor for their failure to comply with fire and tornado regulations — a step that has not been taken with any Michigan school, at least in the last 15 years, said Michigan Bureau of Fire Services Deputy Director and Assistant Fire Marshal Tony Sanfilippo.

Based on the state fire prevention code, colleges and universities such as MSU are required to conduct eight fire drills and two tornado drills in each of the residence halls and facilities with classrooms each year, preferably one each month, Sanfilippo said.

University spokesman Jason Cody said the university conducts eight fire drills and two tornado drills in each of the residence halls each year. But, MSU only conducts one annual fire and tornado drill for each other campus building — putting them in violation, according to Sanfilippo.

Cody said the university has limited resources, including personnel and time, and chooses to focus on residence halls for fire and tornado drills.

“We are to continue to operate as we always have, doing everything we can to protect the safety of our students, faculty and staff,” Cody said of how the university will proceed in light of the violation.

Sanfilippo said the department does not do regular inspections to make sure universities are following codes appropriately, but will ask for the required documentation of the drills done when they inspect on-campus projects.

Not having the required documentation also is a misdemeanor, but Sanfilippo said if a university isn’t following this requirement or isn’t conducting the required amount of drills, bureau representatives typically will explain that this is a requirement and the school will agree to change.

He said unless there is another complaint, they do not check back to see if universities have updated their policies.

“Usually, we don’t try to go through the process of prosecutions,” Sanfilippo said. “We try to do a learning education piece.”

He said although there is no conversation to penalize the university, or others that reportedly also have been in violation of the code, the issue might arise if the state fire marshal is included in an education-based safety task force that Gov. Rick Snyder is forming.

Accounting sophomore Daniel Liu said additional fire drills in an academic building might be a good idea to increase student safety, although fewer drills should be conducted than in the dorms and exam times should be avoided.

Staff writer Caleb Nordgren contributed to this story.

Share and discuss “MSU doesn't fully comply with fire drill policy” on social media.