Sunday, October 27, 2024

Green Corps give students leadership skills

For social relations and policy senior Callie Bruley, traveling across the U.S. to learn leadership skills and help run campaigns addressing critical environmental issues has been her major goal since her sophomore year.

Beginning this August, Bruley will be one of between 25 and 35 people, mostly recent college graduates, working for Green Corps, a program for environmental enthusiasts willing help lead the movement to fight various environmental issues.

This is the third year in a row that an MSU student is working for Green Corps — a difficult job to get considering between 1,500 and 2,000 people apply and only a small amount are accepted, Green Corps Recruitment Director Aaron Myran said.

“I think the biggest thing is that the (MSU) students have taken a big leadership role with environmental issues,” Myran said about one of the main reasons he has hired MSU students.

Bruley said her role as president of MSU Beyond Coal, a campaign launched with the help of Green Corps to push MSU to use only renewable energy, introduced her to Green Corps and has helped her prepare to work for the organization.

“I was really inspired by what they taught me,” Bruley said about the Green Corps workers who visited campus. “I have a passion for the environment and helping teach people how to organize (campaigns).”

During the year-long program, Green Corps employees first are trained on leadership skills. Some of the sessions are taught by environmental movement leaders, including the founder of 350.org, a movement to stop climate crisis.

They then use those skills to work on three to five campaigns dealing with issues, such as global warming, water pollution and factory farming. Tasks for each campaign, with the partnership of other environmental groups, might include holding press conferences, organizing rallies and recruiting citizens to volunteer.

After graduating from the program, Green Corps workers receive help finding a career with an environmental or social change group.

Alumna Talya Tavor, Green Corps field organizer and past president of MSU Beyond Coal, currently is working on a campaign to increase water conservation in Texas. She hopes to continue doing the same work after graduating from the program.

“I know that this is the most important work that anyone can do,” Tavor said.

Bruley said she is excited to travel and be put outside of her comfort zone.

“I have a lot of experience with coal in Michigan and on campus,” Bruley said. “It doesn’t matter where they send me as long as I get to learn.”

Myran said interested students are encouraged to apply at greencorps.org before the deadline March 24.

Share and discuss “Green Corps give students leadership skills” on social media.