Friday, September 20, 2024

Film incentive cuts curb budding industry

Advocates for Michigan’s budding film industry worry their state’s silver screen soon could be in danger — at least if proposed funding cuts are as impactful as they fear.

Last Thursday, Gov. Rick Snyder reaffirmed his opinions on limiting the amount of film incentives Michigan should allocate in the 2014 fiscal year, proposing a $25 million film incentive budget to be used to attract movie, TV and digital media projects to the state.

This amount is half of what these programs are expected to receive throughout the 2013 fiscal year and $95 million less than what was allocated in 2010.

The governor hasn’t shied away from his stance on limiting state film incentives since taking office, and this is the second consecutive year he has called for a cap at $25 million. But regardless of his reasoning, this decision is a major attack on the cultural potential of this state.

Developing a competitive film industry in Michigan has been a major goal since former Gov. Jennifer Granholm was in office.

In 2007, the year of its inception, the film incentives program was uncapped and was preempted to be the next big step toward putting money back into Michigan’s local economy. State-of-the-art studios fit for Hollywood blockbusters were expected to come to this state, create new jobs and make Michigan an ideal location for young professionals to settle down.

This dedication didn’t go unnoticed by industry leaders in Hollywood.

In the following years, multiple film studios emerged across the state and began producing major films, such as “Gran Torino” and “Oz The Great and Powerful.”

But Snyder’s attempt to restrict these funds has diminished this goal and made Michigan’s road to creating a viable film industry seem more like a dead end.

Snyder has cited the film industry’s poor reputation with staying faithful to investors as a reason for capping funds. But how can he expect others — including local filmmakers — to trust working in the state if these budget cuts continue?

Instead of forcing local filmmakers to search for job opportunities outside the state, Michigan should use these programs as a way to redefine its cultural identity in the country.

Film incentives also encourage recent college graduates to stay in Michigan. A University of Michigan study found 95-99 percent of students who made short films will leave Michigan to find work in another state.

In time, these programs have the potential to transcend Michigan into a digital leader in the Midwest, but accomplishing this goal is impossible without the necessary support.

Instead of looking for ways to limit their funding, Snyder should embrace the programs created by his predecessor and use them as a way to improve the overall appeal of the state.

This could include expanding the statewide “Pure Michigan” advertising campaign and making cities, such as Detroit, a recognizable site in future films.

In the middle of a recession, it’s a bad idea to turn away an opportunity to bring money and culture to the state while keeping young professionals here.

Share and discuss “Film incentive cuts curb budding industry” on social media.