Sunday, October 6, 2024

'BTN LiveBIG' to feature Spartans this weekend

Following the Michigan State vs. Nebraska men’s basketball game on Saturday, MSU will be featured on Big Ten Network’s “BTN LiveBIG” series.

According to btn.com, “BTN LiveBIG” showcases how Big Ten universities, alumni and students are giving back to the community through research and community service.

One of the segments on the show will feature MSU alumna Jenn Gibbons, who graduated in 2005. Gibbons rowed at MSU, and in 2008, her passion for the sport led her to establish “Recovery on Water,” a rowing program for breast cancer survivors.

The program, based in Chicago, serves more than 40 women. Gibbons said if breast cancer survivors exercise 3-5 times a week, they can reduce the chances of the cancer coming back by 50 percent.

“I love the opportunity to give back to a sport that I feel like gave me so much,” Gibbons said. “I really had the opportunity to learn about myself and push myself in ways I never had before.”

Another segment will focus on MSU human ecology professor Adrian Blow and his collaborative research project on the Michigan National Guard. With help from the University of Michigan, Michigan Public Health Institute and Virginia Tech, the project is studying more than 600 veterans and their families to help the National Guard with reintegration efforts.

“These are men and women who have sacrificed their time with their families to avert threats to the US,” Blow said. “This is a population that often is invisible, especially in Michigan.”

The show also will feature former MSU basketball guard Mateen Cleaves. The segment will follow him as he visits the Boys and Girls Club of Greater Flint in his hometown, Flint, Mich., and teaches them the importance of community service.

Rounding out the show is MSU’s partnership with The MasterCard Foundation, and the organization’s $500 million education initiative, The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.
The program aims to provide financially disadvantaged youth, particularly in Africa, with access to high-quality education.

Graduate student Chris Jarman, who currently is assisting Blow with the National Guard research project, said he’s excited for the upcoming show.

“It’s a great opportunity to highlight the important research that MSU is doing to support vets and their families, especially here in Michigan with our local veterans,” Jarman said.

Share and discuss “'BTN LiveBIG' to feature Spartans this weekend” on social media.