Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Carmack case moved to 30th Circuit Court

<p>Advertising junior Brandon Carmack, right, talks with his mother, Barb Carmack and attorney, William Hankins after the second preliminary hearing of the case on Monday, Nov. 26, 2012 at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.</p>

Advertising junior Brandon Carmack, right, talks with his mother, Barb Carmack and attorney, William Hankins after the second preliminary hearing of the case on Monday, Nov. 26, 2012 at City Hall, 410 Abbot Road.

The case surrounding advertising junior Brandon Carmack was transferred to Lansing’s 30th Circuit Court during Monday’s second preliminary examination at East Lansing’s 54B District Court.

A waiver to move the case to the circuit court was presented by Carmack’s attorney, William Hankins, who is replacing Kristina Lyke as defense attorney for the case.

Describing a distinct difference in strategy from Lyke, Hankins said he would not have had the original preliminary examination, in which several high-profile MSU varsity hockey players, including junior defenseman Jake Chelios and junior goaltender Will Yanakeff, took the stand.

“I’m not so sure I would have had the (preliminary examination) in the first place,” Hankins told The State News after Monday’s hearing. “It’s just a difference of opinion.”

Carmack is being charged with two counts of assault and battery, one count of domestic assault and battery, one count of filing a false police report of a felony and one count of stalking.

The charges were brought against Carmack after he allegedly tried to assault his girlfriend on the night of Aug. 27 and the early hours of Aug. 28.

Multiple witnesses told police Carmack tried to storm a house on the 600 block of Grand River Avenue where several varsity hockey players live.

In the original police report, Carmack told police he was kicked, beaten and stabbed by the hockey players.

Carmack has pleaded not guilty to the charges, which now will be brought against him in Ingham County’s 30th Judicial Circuit Court.

He still is out on a $10,000 personal recognizance bond.

Share and discuss “Carmack case moved to 30th Circuit Court” on social media.