Monday, October 21, 2024

Sims left off depth chart for second straight week

<p>Defensive back Donald Coleman attempts to bring down senior tight end Dion Sims on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. Sims finished the game with 112 receiving yards and one touchdown. James Ristau/The State News</p>

Defensive back Donald Coleman attempts to bring down senior tight end Dion Sims on Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. Sims finished the game with 112 receiving yards and one touchdown. James Ristau/The State News

For the second time in as many weeks, junior tight end Dion Sims has been left off MSU’s weekly depth chart.

Sims missed Saturday’s 19-16 loss against Iowa after he sprained his left ankle in the first quarter against Indiana. Sophomore Andrew Gleichert, redshirt freshman Paul Lang and junior Derek Hoebing rotated in at tight end for the Spartans against the Hawkeyes.

Head coach Mark Dantonio said at a press conference Tuesday morning Sims’ return for the Michigan game still is up in the air, and the team will track his improvement throughout the week.

“We’ll know more about it this week,” he said. “Basically, really, truly where it’s at. We’ll know more this week. Obviously, he hasn’t practiced yet this week. We’ll find out more as the week continues.”

Sims recently was named to the 2012 John Mackey Award midseason watch list, awarded to the nation’s top tight end each year. Sims is MSU’s second leading receiver this season, catching 24 passes for 313 yards and two touchdowns.

“He’s a big target for us,” Dantonio said. “He was our starter, leading pass receiver for us. He’s a firm blocker. So there’s a lot to it, getting him back.”

Share and discuss “Sims left off depth chart for second straight week” on social media.