Monday, October 21, 2024

Swagger, confidence help cornerbacks excel

Junior cornerback Darqueze Dennard celebrates with teammates after making a strong defensive play Friday night, Aug. 31, 2012 at Spartan Stadium. Dennard recorded a total of 5 tackles as the Spartans defeated Boise State 17-13 in MSU's home opener game. Adam Toolin/The State News

When the No. 11 MSU football team (1-0) takes the field and one of the country’s most heralded defenses lines up each Saturday, a glance across the field often shows Johnny Adams and Darqueze Dennard matched up on their own, with no one around to help them.

It’s a risky strategy, employed more this past year than in any other under head coach Mark Dantonio, and has paid off in a major way for the Spartans, in large part because of the skill of both Adams, a senior, and Dennard, a junior.

The trust instilled in both cornerbacks has helped the rest of MSU’s defense to play with reckless abandon, knowing that Adams and Dennard are capable of handling their responsibilities on their own.

“It makes us feel more comfortable doing some things that we like to do,” secondary coach Harlon Barnett said.

During the Spartans’ 17-13 victory over Boise State on Friday, Dennard repeatedly was targeted by Broncos quarterback Joe Southwick and said he embraced the challenge.

It was the junior cornerback who had the last laugh, breaking up Southwick’s pass on fourth-and-two, giving MSU possession they never would relinquish.

The play prompted Adams to describe his fellow starter as one of the best cornerbacks in the nation, and junior defensive end Will Gholston said plays such as that have become expected from Dennard.

“If you’re going to go at him, he’s going to make a play … that’s what he does,” Gholston said. “I feel like we play as a unit, and we practice our craft so much individually that we can step up like he stepped up and made the play.”

Despite Dennard’s play on fourth down — one of three pass breakups for the junior against Boise State — Barnett said both of his cornerbacks have told him that they didn’t think they played well.

It was Dennard’s ability to keep his confidence throughout Friday’s game and come through on fourth down that Barnett said illustrates what makes his player special.

“If you’re worried about anybody’s mindset, it’s never (number) 31’s ­— period,” Barnett said of Dennard. “He’s a competitor, he’s going to come to play (and) you don’t have to worry about him at all.”

It’s that confident, steely mindset and a persistence for perfection that leads Barnett to describe the duo as special.

“I’ll point out the good and the bad, and they’ll focus on the bad and say they’ve got to get better. … That lets you know the type of guys you’re dealing with,” Barnett said.

Share and discuss “Swagger, confidence help cornerbacks excel” on social media.