Tuesday, May 21, 2024

Osama raid tell-all will hurt many

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

More than a year has passed since infamous Saudi Arabian terrorist Osama bin Laden was killed, and there still is controversy looming in the air. This time, however, the outrage isn’t about what is happening overseas or if bin Laden is, in fact, dead; it is about the most controversial book since “Fifty Shades of Grey.”

“No Easy Day,” written by Matt Bissonnette under the pseudonym “Mark Owen,” is a firsthand account of the operation executed by Navy SEAL Team Six that ultimately killed bin Laden. The book hit stands Tuesday, one week before the 11-year anniversary of the Sept. 11 al-Qaida suicide attacks on American soil.

This book may sound like a true thriller, but having it published is simply a poor decision.

For as much attention as this book gets for its raw details and unheard accounts, it will receive an equal amount of attention for its negative effects.

For one, this book allegedly was published without approval from the Pentagon or the White House.

Bissonnette was required to sign an agreement as a condition of employment noting that he would not expose any secrets. But lawyers of Bissonnette and Penguin Group (USA), the book’s publisher, claim that the book contains no details that “would breach (Bissonnette’s) agreements (with government officials) or put his former comrades at risk.”

So there is nothing that could go awry, right?

Wrong.

This account will open up a can of worms that will put Bissonnette, the Navy SEALs and possibly the nation at risk.

Bissonnette boasts the book will give the truth about what really happened in bin Laden’s compound, not what the government spoon-fed to the people.

A leaked excerpt of the book suggests bin Laden was not armed during the encounter. Initial reports said bin Laden was armed with a rifle and used one of his wives as a shield.

Having conflicting reports could send some citizens on the conspiracy side of the fence. “If the government lied about bin Laden being armed, what else could they be lying about?,” some people might think. A handful of people in this nation are convinced 9/11 was an inside job and the government is out to hurt us. To think that no theories will come out of this book is naïve.

Conspiracy thoughts can’t do any damage physically, though. But this book might cover that, too.

If “No Easy Day” is as revealing as advertised, Bissonnette could be doing major damage to future SEAL missions. Some people, including an anonymous member of the Navy, have allegedly gone as far as calling Bissonnette a traitor.

On Thursday, the ex-SEAL’s former commander, Special Operations Chief Adm. Bill McRaven sent out a warning to all current and former military personnel.

He stated that any past or present SEAL who leaks sensitive information to the public will see legal action from the government. It’s a smart move to drop the hammer, because exposing sensitive information to the public could turn fatal for the military.

Sure, it’s good to inform people of what really happened that day, but it’s another issue to let the public know all the secrets about that mission. This book could very well be a “How to Stop the Navy SEALs” manual for terrorist groups around the world.

In the battle between truth and safety, I’m going to side with not having one of America’s best special operations unit’s secrets be told, because in doing so, Bissonnette is putting his life on the line.

He wrote under a pen name, but it wasn’t long before his identity and location were revealed to the world.

And recently members of al-Qaida posted on their official website: “We pray to Allah for (Bissonnette’s) destruction sooner rather than later,” with his picture and name attached to it.

Yes, he will be revered as an icon to many, but to al-Qaida, he is just another person with a target on his head. And to his fellow Navy SEALs, he is regarded as a sellout who broke the code of silence to pen this book.

I’m sure it will be an interesting read, but this book isn’t a piece of fiction, and publishing it could be a real danger to many.

Matt Sheehan is a State News staff writer and a journalism junior. Reach him at sheeha35@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Osama raid tell-all will hurt many” on social media.