Monday, October 21, 2024

MSU football will improve as time goes on

<p>Mansour</p>

Mansour

You can take your hands down now.

It’s OK to look.

The ugliness of last Friday’s game can’t hurt you anymore.

The most anticipated home opener in recent memory was more snoozer than scintillating, but the No. 13 MSU football team’s 17-13 victory over No. 24 Boise State ultimately accomplished its most critical goal.

In a system where every college football game is similar to the NCAA Tournament, the Spartans did what their basketball brethren are so well known for: survive and advance; and hoping for style points right out of the gate ultimately was greedy.

The disappointment with a less-than-stellar viewing experience needs to be put into perspective with the doldrums that came from an otherwise listless opening weekend of college football.

The sport was a tough watch all across the country, and by that standard, MSU was pretty impressive.

The defense was as ferocious as advertised, juniors running back Le’Veon Bell and tight end Dion Sims were even better than that and junior Andrew Maxwell looked every bit of a first-time starting quarterback.

That isn’t bad; that’s what’s supposed to happen.

Was the dropped pass by Tony Lippett that turned into an interception and the sophomore receiver’s subsequent fumble frustrating? Of course.

Did the tease of a 4-for-4 passing start from Maxwell make the fall back to earth of completing seven of his next 18 passes even more glaring? Definitely.

But that’s what the season’s first game is for, and even throughout the course of the game, the development was there to be seen.

Maxwell bounced back from completing 11-of-22 passes for 96 yards with three interceptions in the first half and went 11-for-16 passing with 152 yards and zero interceptions in the second half.

He went from looking frazzled and erratic, to more confident and calm, facing the pressure of a highly anticipated night game and surviving.

Yet in the way that some of the struggles weren’t as bad as they looked, some of the positives aren’t quite as promising as they seem.

After trucking the Boise State defense for 210 rushing yards and two touchdowns, the nonsensically premature September Heisman trophy hype turned its attention to Bell.

His performance against Boise State was sensational — and certainly deserving of being recognized as the co-Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week — but if he continues to get more than 40 carries a game, he’ll be dead by week eight.

Offensive balance and Maxwell’s development will be critical to watch as the season progresses, and one of the nation’s best defenses allows an offense the chance to continue working out the kinks while winning.

The pencils are down, the first test has been graded and the Spartans and Maxwell passed.

The next test is on the road, and with a week of classes under his belt, don’t be surprised if MSU’s quarterback looks a little more prepared.

Share and discuss “MSU football will improve as time goes on” on social media.