Monday, October 21, 2024

Down to the end, CMU shocked the Spartans in 2009

Central Michigan quarterback Dan LeFevour is chased down by MSU defensive end Tyler Hoover during Saturday's game. The Spartans lost to the Chippewas with a final score of 29-27. Chelsea Lee/State News.

MSU 20, CMU 14
Time left: 13:42
Fourth quarter

With the Spartans leading Central Michigan 20-13 entering the fourth quarter, CMU quarterback Dan LeFevour completed a 12-yard touchdown pass to receiver Kito Poblah, to tie the game at 20.

MSU 20, CMU 20
Time left: 7:33
Fourth quarter

On the very next possession, MSU drives 80 yards on 13 plays, with quarterback Kirk Cousins finding receiver B.J. Cunningham for a seven-yard touchdown pass on third and goal. The Spartans regain the lead 27-20.

MSU 27, CMU 20
Time left: 0:32
Fourth quarter

CMU answers on its next possession, capping off a 15-play, 71-yard drive with an 11-yard touchdown pass to running back Paris Cotton. The Chippewas decide to go for a two-point conversion to take the lead in the game’s final minute, but LeFevour’s pass falls incomplete. MSU leads 27-26.

MSU 27, CMU 26
Time left: 0:32
Fourth quarter

CMU attempts an on-side kick and recovers the ball at their own 47-yard line, giving the Chippewas another chance to take the lead.

MSU 27, CMU 26
Time left: 0:28
Fourth quarter

On first down, LeFevour finds Cotton for a nine-yard gain into MSU territory at the Spartan 44-yard line. CMU calls time out.

MSU 27, CMU 26
Time left: 0:21
Fourth quarter

LeFevour has a six-yard completion to receiver Antonio Brown for a first down at the MSU 38-yard line. MSU calls time out.

MSU 27, CMU 26
Time left: 0:16
Fourth quarter

Brown makes a one-handed grab for a gain of eight yards to the MSU 30-yard line. With eight seconds to go, CMU calls its final time out and MSU also calls time out.

MSU 27, CMU 26
Time left: 0:08
Fourth quarter

CMU kicker Andrew Aguila misses a 47-yard field goal, but an offside penalty against defensive end Colin Neely gave CMU another chance. Thanks to the penalty yardage, Aguila makes a 42-yard field goal with three seconds left in the game, giving CMU a 29-27 lead.

MSU 27, CMU 29
Time left: 0:08
Fourth quarter

MSU is unable to return the kickoff for a score, and the Spartans lose 29-27.

Share and discuss “Down to the end, CMU shocked the Spartans in 2009” on social media.