Monday, October 21, 2024

Column: Even with Notre Dame looming, Spartans come to play in Mt. Pleasant

<p><strong>Mansour</strong></p>

Mansour

There was every reason to exhale.

Every reason to enjoy the victory over Boise State a little too long, and think ahead to Notre Dame a little too early.

But from start to finish, the Spartans made it clear: they came to Mt. Pleasant, Mich., to dominate, and refused to relent.

In the program’s first-ever game at Kelly/Shorts Stadium, the No. 11 MSU football team (2-0) thumped Central Michigan (1-1) 41-7, with only a interception returned for a touchdown in the game’s final two minutes preventing a shutout.

The Spartans went for the jugular early and often, with junior quarterback Andrew Maxwell throwing 28 passes in the first half alone, before finishing the game completing 20-of-31 passes for 275 yards, two touchdowns and zero interceptions.

Gone were Maxwell’s jitters and inconsistency from the opening weekend, and in their place was a quarterback firmly in control, asserting authority and running the show.

Now, the challenge of facing CMU — even on the road — doesn’t compare to the late night spectacle that was the season opener a week ago, and it won’t compare to the nationally televised drama of next week’s rivalry game, but for Maxwell and his young receivers it was a critical step.

Sophomore receiver Keith Mumphery was a dependable early target, grabbing four passes for 52 yards, junior tight end Dion Sims continued to be a force, rumbling for a 20-yard touchdown, and junior receiver Bennie Fowler showcased his big play potential, with eight catches for 99 yards and a touchdown.

It was an impressive showing that helped a young receiving corps and an inexperienced quarterback find their footing, at least for one week, and demonstrated this team is capable of a blowout, even when its star running back isn’t an overwhleming force.

Le’Veon Bell finished the game with 18 carries for 70 yards and two touchdowns, but the junior’s drop in production from a week ago had more to do with the Spartans mindset entering the game than it did with Bell.

The MSU coaching staff knows it will need a confident and productive passing game to achieve its long-term goals, and came out determined to help its quarterback take that next step.

Now a signal caller, who came into the season desperate for experience, has won a night game against a ranked opponent, and followed it up with a win on the road.

With each week, each possession, and each snap, a building block is being laid in the construction of a sturdy and dependable offense.

The construction is hardly complete, but as the game slows down and the newness evaporates, Maxwell and the Spartans are one step closer to reaching their goals of a Big Ten title.

Share and discuss “Column: Even with Notre Dame looming, Spartans come to play in Mt. Pleasant” on social media.