Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Internships vital to life after MSU

Editor’s Note: Views expressed in guest columns and letters to the editor reflect the views of the author, not the views of The State News.

I hate to rub it in, but it’s a bad time to be a college student in the U.S.

Everyone knows the state of the U.S. economy is unfavorable. We all know that there are thousands of college graduates fighting for hundreds of jobs, and the unlucky ones are left to wallow in debt. We all understand what we’re getting into when entering the “real” world, and none of us are excited about it.

Students might feel as though they are in a lose-lose situation.

Normally, this would be the part where I complain about how it’s unfair that the retirement age is increasing, and because the economy is so bad, nobody’s leaving the job market. I should be crying about how all we have to look forward to is years of unemployment in our parents’ basement, receiving phone calls from the federal government asking for their loan money back.

But are we helpless? Not completely.

As college students, we can sit and complain all we want, but that’s not going to make anything better, and honestly, we’ve all heard the complaints way too many times before. We can’t change what’s handed to us, and we don’t have the ability to make employers throw salaries at us and beg us to come work for them.

With the job market for college graduates being practically nonexistent, it’s more important than ever that students build up their résumés and take every opportunity possible. If any of us plan on fighting against every other college student for a job, we need to do everything we can to gain an advantage.

As internships are becoming more and more vital for students’ résumés, summers spent at home lounging around with high school friends are becoming more and more unacceptable. Months spent doing nothing aren’t going to help anyone get a post-graduation job, especially when the competition is out there getting experience.

The sooner college students start worrying about interning and finding a job, the better. As a freshman, I have already looked into internships that I can’t get until my junior and senior year, and figured out what I have to do to get there.

I interned here at The State News my freshman semester, then spent this semester as opinion writer. My ultimate goal is to be on sports desk, and a few weeks ago, I traveled to Bridgeport, Conn., to cover men’s hockey in the NCAA Tournament.

Internships play a hugely influential role in professional development — there’s a reason so many degrees require one.

Not only do they offer students real-life experience that sometimes is difficult to get on campus, but they provide students with connections. And once again, with the job market being in the state it’s in, professional connections are more important than ever.

So we all understand how important it is to utilize every internship opportunity that we come across.

But, of course, things can never be that simple.

I don’t doubt that almost every MSU student would jump at some of the internships offered. No journalism major would say no to a summer at The New York Times, just as no political science major would consider declining an offer at The White House.

There’s a little factor, though, that seems to always sneak its way in: money. There always are some situations where people can’t actually afford to go on internships they are offered because they can’t afford to.

Many internship opportunities now are unpaid. If you’re traveling across the country for one, you have costs of living to worry about: rent, food, transportation, the list goes on. In essence, sometimes internships can cost people money.

I know you “can’t put a price tag” on the experience you’re gaining, but these days, we don’t have any choice but to worry about the price tags.

If you can find a paid internship, or even one that takes care of your residency, then lucky you. But opportunities, even during the summer, must be looked at on a case-to-case basis. Unfortunately, there are too many other factors to look at, and college students aren’t able to jump at every chance they’re given.

Internships are vital, but sometimes they aren’t the right decision for every person. When it comes down to a case of affordability, internships might not be the best for everyone, but they likely will provide irreplaceable experience.

Alyssa Girardi is the State News opinion writer. Reach her at girardi5@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Internships vital to life after MSU” on social media.