Saturday, October 26, 2024

ASMSU elects new leadership

Closing up a year of rebuilding and transitioning, ASMSU’s General Assembly elected its new leadership for the 2012-13 academic year Thursday night at its last meeting of the semester.

Vice Chair for Student Programming for Students Evan Martinak was elected as chairman for the 2012-13 year, running uncontested for the seat.

Martinak, who has been involved in ASMSU for three years, emphasized the need for outreach to the general student beyond efforts this year, saying the responsibility lies with ASMSU to connect with students, not the other way around.

The election lasted about 3.5 hours, a fraction of the last year’s election, which went well into the next morning. This year’s elections largely were uncontested, having only two positions with more than one candidate.

All of the eight candidates spoke about the need to continue dialogues with the student body and encourage outreach to the average student, which James Madison College representative Emily
Bank, elected to the position of vice chair for academic affairs, said in her speech.

Bank, who served as the associate provost this year, said she wants to change what students know about ASMSU, beyond blue books or legal services.

“There’s so much we have to offer, and we definitely have to change the mentality about that,” she said.

Lyman Briggs College representative Dylan Miller was elected to the position of vice chair for governmental affairs on the platform of advocacy in local, state and federal government.

Miller said one of his major goals for his position is to obtain a student seat on the East Lansing City Council to give students a more direct voice in city affairs.

He said it is important for students to have a voice represented in any governing body that has an effect on them.

College of Business representative Kyle Clifton was elected vice chair for finance and operations, stating he wants ASMSU to be effective financially, administratively and environmentally to be the most cost-effective for the General Assembly and the whole student body.

Rounding out ASMSU’s new executive board was Michael Mozina as the vice chair for student funding, Chris McClain as vice chair for student programming and Denzel McCampbell as the secretary.

Share and discuss “ASMSU elects new leadership” on social media.