Friday, September 20, 2024

2012 hair show models wild styles

Journalism junior Shanacee Shreve walks down the runway showing off her hair and swimsuit apparel at the 10th annual Hair and Fashion show Saturday night at Wharton's Pasant Theatre.

With models in cages and money raining on the audience, the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. 10th annual Hair and Fashion Show on Saturday was nothing short of wild.

The Zeta Delta Chapter’s show attracted an audience of more than 500 to Wharton Center to see the latest in hair style trends and fashionable couture.

This year’s show, with a Las Vegas theme, included 42 female models, nine scenes and one musical performance.

To celebrate a decade of shows, coordinators Chelsea Huguley, Shanacee Shreve, Imani Dudley and Brittany Powell, handed frosted cupcakes to members of the audience during an opening performance by hip-hop dance group Urban Dreams.

The show featured styles from swimwear to formal wear from a variety of stores in the Lansing Mall, 5132 W. Saginaw Highway, in Lansing, and Meridian Mall, 1982 W. Grand River Ave., in Okemos, such as Buckle and Charlotte Russe.

After working to put the show together for months, a proud Huguley said the models executed the turns, twists and poses diligently.

“We’ve been practicing since January, and sometimes you get a little weary about the end result, but they showed up and showed out,” she said.

To fit the Las Vegas theme, Shreve said for her scene, Twisted Fantasy, she had images of Cirque du Soleil in mind.

“For me, I like to do things that are a little different,” she said. “The themes I did were the darker themes.”

As he watched his cousin Empress Henderson enter the stage in full-body leopard print and climb into a human-sized cage to play the role of a jungle cat before leaving the stage on a leash, media and information junior Jeremy Vandegrift said he wasn’t aware of just how unconventional the scene would be.

“It was cool, but it was definitely different,” Vandegrift said, with eyebrows raised. “I didn’t know she was going to be in a cage.”

Other scenes included Casino Royale, with models in trench coats and sequined dresses, and Just Married, featuring models in evening gowns and wedding dresses.

The show also featured a musical performance by Michigan-based rapper Trigg Da Kidd, who managed to get many members of the crowd to their feet, especially after his crew members “made it rain” by throwing dollar bills into the audience.

By his final number, more than a dozen members of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. joined him in dancing on stage.

“He’s definitely a crowd-pleaser, and he got the crowd pretty hyped,” Huguley said.

“Most acts can’t do that because they don’t have that type of charisma, … so that was refreshing to see.”

After her first time coordinating such a large show, Shreve said she was proud of the successful performance, but she’s not stopping there.

“(Next year,) I’m going to have to do it better than I did this year just to top it,” she said. “I have to think of a bigger and better theme — that would be my first plan.”

Share and discuss “2012 hair show models wild styles” on social media.