Sunday, April 28, 2024

Baseball play with last year’s loss in mind

It might be early in the season, but Justin Scanlon still hasn’t forgotten the way the last one ended.

The senior shortstop and captain of the MSU baseball team walked off the field at Huntington Park in Columbus, Ohio, at the end of May 2011 with his head down and his dreams dashed, as Illinois beat the Spartans in the Big Ten Tournament championship game by a final score of 9-1. The win effectively gave the Fighting Illini a bid to the NCAA Tournament and ended the Spartans’ season simultaneously.

As the Spartans (4-3) prepare for a three-game series in College Station, Texas, against Texas A&M this weekend, Scanlon said the Spartans would be wise to keep that loss in mind moving forward.

“If it’s not in the backs of the minds of everyone on this team, then we have issues,” Scanlon said. “That was such a stinging feeling to see that Illinois (was) walking off that field knowing that they’re going to a regional and knowing most likely we’re not just because of that one game or blown chances in midweeks and just the little things like that.”

Last weekend, the Spartans traveled to Greenville, S.C., for a four-game series to continue the team’s opening road schedule. The Spartans went 3-1 on the weekend with wins Friday against Miami (Ohio) and Furman (4-2 on Friday, 6-2 on Saturday); before falling to Miami (Ohio) 1-0 in Sunday’s finale.

Led by senior pitcher Tony Bucciferro and the hot bats of Scanlon and junior outfielder Jordan Keur, the Spartans will look to put together a complete series from start to finish this weekend against Texas A&M.

Bucciferro is 2-0 this season with an earned run average of 2.25 in wins against then-No. 11 St. John’s and Miami (Ohio). In his career, Bucciferro is 22-10 with an ERA of 3.92 in 45 appearances.

At the plate, Scanlon has a .313 average in seven games this season along with a double and four RBIs. Also turning heads is Keur, who leads the team with a .458 average along with seven runs scored and four RBIs of his own.

MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. said the team knows what kind of effort it needs to get back to the top because it has been there before, just a season ago.

“We got to experience the best and the worst last year, you know,” Boss said. “It’s the greatest feeling in the world to be able to celebrate, especially on your own field, and raise the trophy up and jump onto that dog pile. There’s nothing better. But at the same time, when you’re in the other dugout, it’s the worst feeling. We got to experience both in about a week’s time.”

No place like home
The Spartans now are less than a month away from returning to McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs Field for the season’s home opener March 23 against Oakland in a three-game series.

Being a team in the Midwest with winter in full effect, the Spartans open up their season with 17 games on the road in destinations ranging from Dunedin, Fla., to Cincinnati.

“When we have a facility like we do with the fan support that we have, guys are excited to play at home,” Boss said.

“It’s fun to travel, it’s fun to see different places of the country, but there’s no place like home.”

Following the weekend series, the Spartans won’t have to travel far from College Station for their next opponent, a single game against Baylor on Wednesday in Waco, Texas.

Share and discuss “Baseball play with last year’s loss in mind” on social media.