Monday, October 7, 2024

Weekend roundup: Jan 20-22

It is almost the weekend. Classes are ending, and students are ready to unwind. Here is a roundup of events to attend during the weekend respite.

Billy Jonas and the Billy Jonas Band

A Jonas is coming to town. But don’t worry, he’s not a member of the Disney sensation — you won’t have to fight off any tween fans to see him. The North Carolina singer, songwriter and industrial re-percussionist Billy Jonas will be performing at 4 p.m. Saturday at the Pump House, 368 Orchard St.

Jonas uses found objects, such as buckets, pots, pans, garbage cans and a five-gallon water bottle for drums, to make his music.

The Pump House asks for a $5 to $10 donation for admission.

For more information, contact the Pump House at (517) 927-2100.

Harlem Globetrotters 2012 World Tour

Following the men’s basketball game against Purdue on Saturday, another spectacle will hit the court. The Harlem Globetrotters will perform an array of basketball tricks at 7 p.m. at Breslin Center.

The show includes the first female Globetrotter in nearly two decades, the world’s tallest professional basketball player — at 7 foot 8 inches — and 2011 NCAA Slam Dunk Champion Jacob Tucker.

Tickets can be purchased starting at $20. Doors open at 6 p.m., and parking costs $7.

Visit breslincenter.com for more information.

The Shrine Circus

Exotic animals and performers will grace the Lansing Center, 333 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing, this weekend — the 2012 Shrine Circus has come to town.

The show, which opened Thursday, can be seen at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. Friday and at 11 a.m., 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Tickets to the all ages event cost from $12 to $25.

For more information, call Shrine Circus at (810) 406-5214.

The Lifted Festival

If you’re in the mood to rock out all weekend long, The Loft, 414 E. Michigan Ave., in Lansing, has you covered. The Lifted Festival, a three-day music event sponsored by JD Live and Red Cedar Entertainment, continues on Friday night with rock and funk headliner Covert and opening acts such as alternative rock group Pleasant Drive. Saturday night welcomes a whole new group of performers, including electronica-rock headliner The Coop and opening acts such as jazz-rock band The Tree Hut Kings.

Doors open at 5 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Saturday for those 18 and older. Admission can be purchased as a three-day festival pass for $15 or a single day pass for $8.

Check out theloftlansing.com for more information.

Comedy double-whammy

The University Activities Board is hoping to keep you laughing with two comedy acts they’re bringing to town this weekend.

At 9 p.m. Friday at the International Center, comedians Dave Ahdoot and Ethan Fixell, who consider themselves college dating coaches, will come to town to give dating advice with a side of laughter. The act, which has performed routines throughout the country, includes horror-date re-enactments, songs of love, interactive exercises and instructive demonstrations. The show is free for MSU students and one guest.

At 9 p.m. Saturday in the Main Lounge at the Union, comedian Pete Lee, best known for his own “Comedy Central Presents” special, NBC’s “Last Comic Standing” and CMT’s “Next Big Comic,” will grace the stage along with MSU’s reigning Last Spartan Standing, Nic Dressel. The show is free for MSU students and one guest.

For more information, visit uabevents.com.

Share and discuss “Weekend roundup: Jan 20-22” on social media.