Monday, October 7, 2024

How to straighten up

Staff writer Darcie Moran shows how to iron clothing using a hair straightner instead of an iron.

It can be hard to look presentable as a college student.

Dorm closets are cramped; there always seems to be issues with hall washing machines and dryers; and having perfectly neat and crisp clothing is next to impossible.

With the number of students interviewing for jobs, internships or even just going on a big date, it’s important to have a few tricks up your sleeve when it comes to dressing to impress.

Making a good first impression can be as simple as looking sharp — so when you are in a jam and need a fresh-pressed look fast, ladies, grab your hair straightener, and boys, borrow one from a friend.

Step 1: Prepare

If you have a big day coming up, take some time to prepare your outfit — keeping it properly folded instead of stuffed into a drawer can make a world of difference.

If you’ve already passed the point of folding, you have a few options.

Throw your clothing into the dryer with a damp washcloth for a few minutes. The heat may loosen wrinkles.

Or, hang your outfit in your bathroom as you take hot shower. The steam often helps to release wrinkles.

You also could try using a wrinkle releaser from a brand like Downy. Spraying a light mist of wrinkle releaser on your outfit can help loosen creases and give your clothing a fresh smell. Let your clothing hang-dry before continuing.

Step 2: Check the fabric

Knowing the fabric can keep you from burning your clothing or making wrinkles worse. Ironing with a straightener often works well on cotton clothing or similar blends, where as expensive fabric, such as silk, can be ruined if heated incorrectly — leave that to the professionals. Read the tag to make sure you won’t ruin your favorite shirt.

Check how the fabric feels to you — softer fabric is easier to “straighten” and requires less time and pressure than stiffer fabric.

Step 3: Straighten up

Lay your clothing flat on a solid surface, such as a desk or table, and wipe down your straightener — any residue from hair products could leave a stain if you don’t clean it first.

Next, let your hair straightener warm up to a medium setting. The best straightener is one that uses steam, although one with ceramic plates on both sides should work too. Two-inch wide plates are best for “ironing.”

Be sure never to turn the heat all the way up — even if you are really in a crunch for time. Rushing the process with a higher heat setting can lead to burning.

For softer clothing, work on one straight across, horizontal section at a time.

When the straightener has heated, pull the cloth taut so the wrinkles are stretched out, and slowly and gently pull the straightener across for no more than 10-15 seconds at a time. Repeat until clothing is straight and wrinkle-less.

For stiffer clothing, work with smaller sections and give yourself more time to iron than with softer clothing.

When the straightener has heated, hold the clothing in place and slowly but firmly pull the straightener across for 20-25 seconds, letting the plates rest for a few seconds on each spot. Repeat until clothing is straight and wrinkle-less.

For shirts, only work on one side at a time and work from the center out.

For pants, clamp the straightener around both sides of a single pant leg and work straight down.

Share and discuss “How to straighten up” on social media.