Sunday, May 5, 2024

Jedi Council works to unite MSU ‘Star Wars’ enthusiasts

Ali Emamdjomeh’s love for the series began when he first saw “Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace” as a child.

Now, as an economics senior, he and his friends have a chance to express their love for the saga at MSU.

“Once I’d seen all the movies, I was looking for more,” he said. “It’s unrealistic enough you can use your imagination but realistic enough that you could see it happening one day.”

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away — or in reality, 7 p.m. in Wells Hall — the MSU Jedi Council, which Emamdjomeh is a part of, held its first meeting since its founding one month ago to discuss its plans for the future.

The club currently has six members, who all were in attendance at the meeting, on its executive board, but Emamdjomeh said with nearly 40 “likes” on Facebook, he hopes they’ll soon attract a few more members.

Emamdjomeh said the idea for the club began when he and mechanical engineering junior Erik Dudek, who now is the club’s vice president, were discussing their passion for the sci-fi stories at work.

“We were talking one day about our interest in Star Wars, and we found there wasn’t a venue on campus to express that,” he said.

So, the MSU Jedi Council was born. Computer science senior Zach Pepin said the creation of a new club celebrating the series on campus could encourage students of other interests to attend.

“Even if you don’t like Star Wars, maybe you will after joining the club,” he said.

But for students who are already avid fans, Dudek said he hopes the club will give those who admire the laser guns and star adventures an opportunity to come together.

“Through the club, hopefully a lot of fans of Star Wars will get to know each other,” he said. “They’ll be able to discuss the movies that they love.”

Dudek said the group already has began discussing plans for events on campus.

“We’re hoping to get movies played in one of the halls and some sort of a party event with trivia contests and costume contests,” he said.

The club also discussed the logistics of bringing the movies to campus — dealing with licensing and finances — and creating a Star Wars video game tournament.

MSU Jedi Club secretary Tom Dionne said when he participates in the club’s future costume contests, he plans to dress up as Boba Fett, a bounty hunter in the Star Wars series.

“He’s silent and gets things done,” the biomechanical engineering junior said. “He’s got cool gadgets, too. I’d make my own costume — buying it would be expensive.”

Because of its action-packed story lines and familiar messages, Emamdjomeh said Star Wars can appeal to many students.

“The movies sort of tell a story about people and use themes you see in other books and movies but does so in a unique way and exciting way that helps draw people to it,” he said.

Pepin said he has high hopes for spreading Jedi awareness to his fellow Spartans.

“I hope we have light saber wars all over campus,” he said. “I also hope we’ll get enough people to split off into the Jedi Council and the Sith.”

Share and discuss “Jedi Council works to unite MSU ‘Star Wars’ enthusiasts” on social media.