Monday, July 1, 2024

Helpful tips for winter bicycling

<p>Potter</p>

Potter

Editor’s note: MSU Bikes Service Center Assistant Manager Melissa Kwiatkowski contributed to this column.

Cycling in the winter can be full of challenges. Wet and slippery conditions, poor lighting, distracted drivers and cold temperatures can all make your ride more difficult. You don’t need to put your bike away until spring, however. Read on for tips on how to make winter riding more enjoyable and safer.

Stay upright, be seen and live
Winter is a hazardous time to be on the roads. Falling snow, ice on windshields, fogged up windshields, blinding glare and low lighting dramatically will affect the ability of motorists to see you. Drivers might also be distracted by poor road conditions, phones, etc. Assuming that drivers don’t see you is a good attitude any time of the year, whether you ride in the road — with or without bike lanes — or on sidewalks and paths.

So you need to be sure you’re highly visible. Although lights and bright clothing are recommended year-round, they are especially critical during the winter months. Use a flashing white light on your handlebar and a flashing red light on your back or seatpost to draw attention to yourself.

Remember to ride responsibly and intelligently. Bicyclists get full legal protection as a vehicle of the road when they’re behaving according to the laws and rules of the road, but riding your bike through a pedestrian crosswalk is not protected.

Studded tires also can be very helpful for keeping you upright on icy roads. It can be expensive, however, so handy folks might want to consider making their own.

Stay comfortable
It’s cold out there. Winter air stings eyes and turns fingers into Popsicles. Sloppy road slush tends to end up all over shoes, pant legs and backsides. Don’t arrive at your destination soaking wet and half-frozen.

Bicycle fenders come in full-coverage models and easy to attach clip-on models. Some rear fenders are designed with quick-release attachments that don’t require tools for installation but also means it can be easily stolen, so be aware. For your hands, try a pair of lobster gloves. The three-or-four fingered design helps retain body heat and keeps your digits warm. Many cyclists also find ski or chemistry goggles helpful in keeping the cold air out of their eyes so they don’t water and mess up their own vision.

Keep your equipment working right
Rusted and frozen bike parts are one of the most common issues we see during the winter. Moisture inside cable housing can cause freezing and corrosion, which results in poor brake and shift performance. Water in locks can cause them to freeze shut.

Pick up a bottle of wet lubricant that’s designed for bicycles. WD-40 is not a lubricant. Try Tri-Flow or better yet, Pedro’s Synlube, which stays on longer in wet, cold conditions. Chains need to be lubed frequently during wet months. You also can drip the lube down inside cable housing to restore smooth action to frozen brake and shift systems.

Bike parking and storage options
Looking for a place to lock up your bike out of the rain and snow? There are a number of covered bike parking options around campus open to the public, most of them inside our car parking garages.

Additionally, many of the residence halls on campus have indoor bike rooms: Holden, Wonders, Wilson, Holmes, McDonel, Akers, Hubbard, Mason, Abbot, Snyder, Phillips, Campbell, Landon, Yakeley and Gilchrist halls all have bike rooms as of Nov. 2010. Inquire at your hall reception desk about using the bike rooms. Note that the rooms use a common key, so be sure and lock your bike even in these rooms.

Finally, the MSU Bikes Service Center offers long-term storage services in cooperation with the Surplus Store and Recycling Center.

Tim Potter is a State News guest columnist and Manager of the MSU Bikes Service Center. Reach him at bikes@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Helpful tips for winter bicycling” on social media.