Monday, October 21, 2024

Column: Senior class ends season ‘with a bang’

A 55-3 demolition of Indiana, in which the Spartans didn’t allow a touchdown, won the Old Brass Spittoon, clinched the Big Ten Legends Division and a spot in the inaugural Big Ten championship game and finished off back-to-back seasons without a loss at home.

Now that, in the words of senior safety and captain Trenton Robinson, was “going out with a bang.”
Once a recruiting class that ranked 10th in the Big Ten, those 17 seniors now make up the best class in MSU history and really — as of now — the best in the conference.

After Saturday’s game, MSU head coach Mark Dantonio reflected on those graduating seniors, who — with his help — have completely changed the culture at MSU.

“They’re doing things that haven’t been done in a long time here, and they’re doing things that need to be done for the first time in this modern era of football in the new Big Ten,” Dantonio said.

As each one of them were introduced prior to Saturday’s kickoff, it was amazing to think how it even came about that they all wear green and white.

Kirk Cousins was a random recruit with no serious offers from any major conference schools but MSU.

And even that call came late. When it did, Cousins admits he accepted before Dantonio had a chance to take it back.

Five years later, a guy that was supposed to warm the bench is the winningest quarterback in school history.

Or how about Trenton Robinson, who was a two-star recruit that few thought could make an impact, and especially not in a major football conference. Robinson now is one of the best emotional leaders the Spartans have seen and captain of one of the nation’s best defenses.

Then of course there’s Joel Foreman, B.J. Cunningham and Keshawn Martin. Foreman was another undervalued two-star recruit, who has started 45 games at guard and is MSU’s first four-year starter on the offensive line since Shane Hannah (1991-94).

Cunningham now is the Spartans’ all-time leader in receptions.

And Martin, who played quarterback in high school, has become a lethal threat rushing, receiving, returning kicks and even passing.

Although the seniors and the entire team are deserving of all the praise they will receive, they can’t lose focus heading into this weekend’s matchup against Northwestern.

It will be easy to lose sight of their goals. They already clinched the Legends Division and Thanksgiving Day is coming up, but a loss in Evanston, Ill., could be devastating.

Dantonio spoke about not allowing the trophy to “lose its shine” with a loss in the final game. With a loss, the trophy won’t only lose its shine but could be tainted. If MSU falls and Michigan wins, that trophy would be shared.

And have Spartans ever liked sharing with Wolverines? Didn’t think so.

So taking care of business is vital.

And if MSU can finish off these next two games and make the Rose Bowl as has been the goal all year, it won’t just be a joke anymore when the basketball team struggles.

Thanks to 17 “no-name” seniors, MSU will be “a football school.”

Anthony Odoardi is a State News football reporter. He can be reached at odoardia@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Column: Senior class ends season ‘with a bang’” on social media.