Monday, October 21, 2024

MSU focused on stopping run against No. 4 Wisconsin

The Spartans wrap up Michigan running back Vincent Smith Saturday at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines 28-14. Matt Radick/The State News

Trenton Robinson would have his defense play the nation’s best team on a weekly basis if it were possible.

The senior safety loves playing on a big stage, and he said it doesn’t get much better than going against No. 4 Wisconsin Saturday at Spartan Stadium.

“That’s what we come to Michigan State for — to get opportunities to go against the best,” Robinson said.

“They say they have the best offense in the country, (and) we think have the best defense in the country. So that’s what we’re here for, and we’re ready.”

The Badgers (6-0 overall, 2-0 Big Ten) currently are ranked No. 8 in total offense with 3,139 total yards and averaging 523.17 yards per game. They have a dynamic offense with star running backs Montee Ball and James White, led by transfer quarterback Russell Wilson.

After six games, Ball leads Wisconsin, averaging 108.8 rushing yards per game and going 107-for-653 yards overall with 16 of the Badgers’ 42 total touchdowns. White is second only to Ball, as he averages 69.3 yards per game with four touchdowns.

In every game played, the team has more than doubled its opponents’ scores — including the 48-17 win against then-No. 8 Nebraska — and it is ranked seventh in the country in rushing offense.

“It’s going to be a tough situation for us,” sophomore linebacker Denicos Allen said. “If we can stop their run, then our defense will be confident. Our main goal is to stop the run first; that’s our main goal going into every game.”

The Spartans’ (5-1, 2-0) defense is ranked second in the nation only to Alabama, averaging 186.17 yards allowed per game with 1,117 total yards given up this season.

Sophomore linebacker Max Bullough leads the Spartans with 41 total tackles — 12 solos and 29 assists — with eight going against Michigan last Saturday. Additionally, sophomore safety Isaiah Lewis has three interceptions for 89 yards in contributing to MSU’s eight on the season for 161 yards.

The Spartans have improved throughout the season, and players said they expect to continue that trend into the weekend.

“Every week has its challenges,” head coach Mark Dantonio said. “This week’s challenge will be can we stop a two-back running team with a big, powerful offensive line?

“They have two great tailbacks and a play action pass guy, and not just a play action pass guy, but a quarterback who can throw it and run it.”

Wilson will face off against MSU senior quarterback Kirk Cousins in his first Big Ten season after transferring from North Carolina State. Leading Wisconsin’s offense, Wilson sits at the top of the rankings in passing efficiency (210.93) and has a 74.22 completion percentage with 14 touchdowns and one interception.

He’s also proven he can run the ball, averaging 30.3 yards per game and 24 attempts for 182 yards this season. Both Robinson and Bullough said Wilson manages the game well and creates opportunities for the Badgers’ running game.

“He’s an accurate passer, and he’s really mobile as well — like (U-M quarterback) Denard (Robinson) was — but I think he manages the game well,” Bullough said. “He’s a good quarterback, and it’s going to be a good game playing against him.”

Despite the challenges Wilson presents, Wisconsin’s defense will have to stop Cousins — who has a completion percentage of 65.9 and averages 219.5 yards per game. Cousins has thrown for eight touchdowns so far this season.

“(Wilson has) led his team to victories, but (Cousins) — he’s my quarterback,” junior running back Edwin Baker said.

“He watches a ton of film; he studies film more than anybody, I think. He’s a smart guy, (and) he reads defenses quicker than anybody.”

Share and discuss “MSU focused on stopping run against No. 4 Wisconsin” on social media.