Monday, October 21, 2024

Seniors Cousins, Cunningham lead offensive attack

It should be no surprise the seniors on the No. 17 MSU football team stood out in a 28-6 victory over Youngstown State on Friday.

Seniors quarterback Kirk Cousins and wide receiver B.J. Cunningham ensured that was the case as natural leaders on the team.

Cousins completed 18 of 22 passes for 222 yards against the Penguins, and half of his passes found their way into Cunningham’s hands.

With nine receptions for 130 yards, Cunningham tied MSU’s all-time record — held by former wide receiver Matt Trannon — with 148 career receptions. And although it will be his name in the record books, he credited his teammates for performing so well to put him in a position to tie and break a record.

“It’s a blessing to be a part of (MSU’s greats) and just to be out here doing what I do — catching the football,” Cunningham said after the game. “I give credit to the (offensive line), my teammates and Kirk Cousins for giving me the opportunity.”

Coming to MSU together in 2007, Cousins and Cunningham lead the team on and off the field. At his weekly press conference Tuesday, head coach Mark Dantonio said each of them have had such successful careers partially because of the other’s abilities.

“I think they’ve always been in sync, really,” Dantonio said. “(Cousins) does a great job of spreading the ball around to all the different receivers that we do have. Certainly, (Cunningham) got nine of them this week.

Top of the list
As a redshirt freshman running back, Nick Hill has three players ahead of him on the depth chart, making it almost certain he rarely will see playing time.

However, after Friday’s game, Hill has moved to the top of the depth chart for kick returns after originally being listed behind junior running back Larry Caper and sophomore running back Le’Veon Bell. Against Youngstown State, Hill returned two kicks for 41 yards.

“We’ll go with (Hill) right now, because I think he needs to have a place on this football team where he can flourish, where he can blossom a little bit,” Dantonio said.

“He’s an exciting performer for us. He’s just not getting the touches at tailback right now due to the depth, but I think he needs to get the touches, and he needs to get experience.”

Injury update
Redshirt freshman center Travis Jackson did not play in Friday’s game because of an ankle injury. Although Jackson will be ready to play Saturday, Dantonio said junior center Blake Treadwell will continue to start, and Jackson will become more of a reserve this week.

Sophomore wide receiver Bennie Fowler also did not play because of a foot injury, but he is expected to return soon.

Out during training camp with a shoulder contusion, freshman linebacker Lawrence Thomas is practicing in pads but probably won’t play this weekend, and sophomore safety Jairus Jones remains out because of his Achilles tendon.

“If you’re going to play in the secondary, you can’t be a slow step,” Dantonio said.

“I would say if he was playing a different position right now, he probably would be able to play. … But in the secondary, you’ve got to make too many quick movements.”

Share and discuss “Seniors Cousins, Cunningham lead offensive attack” on social media.