Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Face time Jonathon Safran Foer

Jonathan Safran Foer began his first critically acclaimed novel, “Everything is Illuminated,” during his college years. Just days before the ten-year anniversary of 9/11, he will visit East Lansing to talk about his second best seller, “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” — a tale about loss, set against one of America’s darkest moments. Safran’s book has been selected to be read for the One Book, One Community program

Q: “Everything is Illuminated,” the book you authored before “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close,” began during your college years. How did college inspire you or affect your work?

A: I found school to be a little isolating. … I went to Princeton where I’d say it wasn’t a natural fit. That can encourage a feeling of resistance, which I think is a very powerful drive for writing.

Q: You’re coming to speak to our incoming freshman class just days before the 10-year anniversary of 9/11, an event which still is touchy to a lot of people. Why was this event the ideal setting for your second novel, and why is it still relevant after 10 years time?

A: They see it as something that shouldn’t be touched by artists. … I never decided what I want to write about. My writing usually just follows my instinct, and that’s what happened in this case. I think the subject is loss — it’s not a historical event.

Q: Letters play a big role in “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close.” What’s the significance of letters in your life?

A: How many college students do you think write letters by hand anymore? I used to write lots. … There’s something about the deliberateness, the slowness of the communication that I was really attracted to.

Q: Oskar seems like a little kid we all know. Is he based on a person you know or perhaps yourself?

A: He’s really someone who came about in my imagination. I’m not sure if there’s anybody who’s quite like him.

Q: What can we expect from you in the future, in terms of change in your style and pace?

A: I’m not sure I’m the best judge of my own writing. … Sometimes I’m worried it’s too similar (to previous works). I’ve lost faith in my own judgement about myself.

Q: One last question. I’m sure you get this all the time, but what’s the hidden message in pages-271?

A: You’re just not working hard enough if you’re asking that question.

Share and discuss “Face time Jonathon Safran Foer” on social media.