Spartans look to rebound from series split

Following the MSU baseball team’s doubleheader split with Oakland on Tuesday, head coach Jake Boss Jr. displayed his frustration with the team’s effort and promised to work the Spartans hard the next day.

After practice Wednesday, one could tell they had been worked hard for three hours, and sophomore second baseman Ryan Jones called it the toughest practice of his career.

A message-sending practice might not seem necessary with the Spartans sitting atop the Big Ten standings at 5-1, but if the Spartans want to improve the program’s reputation and compete for an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament, the midweek games against inferior opponents are must-wins. And inconsistent play can’t carry over to conference games.

“It’s not acceptable if we want to take the program to a different level and contend for an NCAA Tournament berth,” Boss said Tuesday. “It’s a learning day for us, and it’s not going to be a fun practice (Wednesday) for the boys — I told them that.”

Did the Spartans get the message?

“I hope so, because for me, that was the most embarrassing loss of my life,” senior first baseman Jeff Holm said of the Oakland loss. “The freshmen will understand that that’s unacceptable the way we played like that. Hopefully, we come back with a chip on our shoulder and put up 15 (runs) each game this weekend.”

The Spartans will look to turn things around as they travel to Columbus, Ohio, for a three-game series with Ohio State, a traditional Big Ten powerhouse. The series begins today.

Last season was the first since 1987 in which Ohio State failed to win at least 30 games, as the Buckeyes finished with a 28-23 record. They come into this weekend at 13-14 overall and 3-3 in the Big Ten.

“They’re tough to play at home, it’s always a tough place,” Boss said. “They’ve got some young guys that are pretty talented.

“They lost a lot of pitching last year, but at the same time, they have a lot of young guys that are getting a lot of playing time and playing very well so they’re going to be tough.”

Last year, MSU opened conference play with a 4-2 record before Ohio State came to East Lansing and took two of three from MSU, which finished 11-13 in the Big Ten.

The Spartans aren’t very familiar with having targets on their backs, but they know the mentality opponents will have.

“Anytime in the past when the first place team would come in, or we’d go there, it was a big weekend for us,” senior outfielder Brandon Eckerle said. “Anytime you’re first place in the league, teams are going to want to beat you.”

The Buckeyes come into the series fourth in the Big Ten in hitting, but eighth in pitching and last in fielding.

The Spartans have played solid and complete baseball in each conference game this year, save for one. Tuesday’s loss showed a chink in MSU’s armor, and only the Spartans can fix it.

“I feel like other coaches around the Big Ten see our loss to Oakland and they’re saying, ‘They’re not that good, they’ve been getting lucky,’” Holm said. “So it’s up to us to prove we deserve to be on top.”

Share and discuss “Spartans look to rebound from series split” on social media.