Saturday, October 26, 2024

Potential presidential candidate visits campus

2012 Republican presidential candidate Gary Johnson speaks with a crowd of students Thursday in South Kedzie Hall. Johnson, who served as governor of New Mexico for eight years, was hosted by Young Americans for Liberty and MSU College Libertarians and hopes to win a presidential seat through his reputation for not raising taxes and vetoing bills. Matt Radick/The State News

Potential 2012 presidential hopeful Gary Johnson was at MSU on Thursday evening to share his views on key issues with students.

The former Republican governor of New Mexico was invited to speak as a guest of the Michigan State College Libertarians, or MSCL. Johnson spoke to about 25 students on issues ranging from higher education to U.S. involvement in Libya. MSCL President Matt Needham, a political theory and constitutional democracy freshman, said the group brought Johnson in because many of his views are atypical compared to most Republicans.

“We think Gary Johnson is a unique figure in politics,” he said. “He brings issues to the forefront within the conservative movement that most conservative politicians don’t talk about.”

Johnson opened his discussion by recounting his experiences as a young entrepreneur in Albuquerque, N.M.

In the mid 1990s, Johnson approached the Republican Party of New Mexico for the state’s gubernatorial nomination and was told he had little to no chance of earning the nod. He went on to win both the Republican primary and the 1994 general election. He served until 2003.

In his talk, Johnson highlighted many of his political stances, including his belief that marijuana should be legalized and taxed.

He also spoke about reining in federal spending and balancing the federal budget, something lawmakers have yet to do for the current fiscal year.

“I’m advocating we balance the budget tomorrow,” he said. “That means reducing $1.6 trillion in government spending.”

Johnson said to reduce federal spending and eliminate the deficit, certain programs may need to be reexamined.

“You have to think some areas of the federal government should be eliminated entirely.” he said.

Following the speaking session, Johnson declined to make remarks regarding his political future, instead saying he plans to focus on potential solutions to issues affecting the U.S.

Some students thought Johnson’s talk was thought provoking, but had some qualms.

“I thought that what he said was really interesting,” said Joshua Horton, a communication and political theory and constitutional democracy senior. “But some of the things he said didn’t go into a lot of detail.”

Though Johnson likely would seek the Republican nomination should he pursue the presidency, Andrew Walker, chairman of the MSU College Republicans, said the former governor’s stance on social policy sets him apart from a broad Republican base.

“I know he is in favor of civil unions, legalizing marijuana and abortion rights,” Walker said. “I think that a lot of that message won’t resonate with a lot of conservative Republicans.”

Staff writer Zane McMillin contributed to this report.

Share and discuss “Potential presidential candidate visits campus” on social media.