Wednesday, May 1, 2024

MSU, Lugnuts face off in Showdown

Baseball fans come out for Crosstown Showdown

Students and baseball fans from across the state gather at Cooley Law School Stadium to watch the MSU baseball team face off against the Lansing Lugnuts in the fifth annual Crosstown Showdown.

Lansing — Tuesday night, Cooley Law School Stadium was home of the annual Crosstown Showdown. It also was home to 7,212 chilly baseball fans from Lansing, East Lansing and across the state. But for MSU alumna Ericka Lischkge, it was home to a decade of memories.

Lischkge graduated from MSU in 2010 with a degree in nursing, but she had been attending Lugnuts games years before she came to MSU.

Growing up in Eaton Rapids, Mich., Lischkge went to Lugnuts games at least once a year, but not because she wanted to — because her mother made her. But the memories stuck with her nonetheless.

“(I remember) watching all my brothers and sisters — I’m the oldest of six, so there were five younger ones in there,” Lischkge said gesturing toward the bounce house behind the left-field fence. “Bumps — bumped heads all the time.”

This was the fifth time the MSU baseball team faced off against the Lugnuts in the Crosstown Showdown, and though it is merely an exhibition game, Cooley Law School Stadium has seen attendance numbers of more than 6,000 every year.

Despite weather conditions resembling a late-season football game at Spartan Stadium, MSU fans still ventured into downtown Lansing to cheer for the Green and White.

Football head coach Mark Dantonio and women’s basketball head coach Suzy Merchant were honorary base coaches for the game and recently appointed ice hockey head coach Tom Anastos threw out the ceremonial first pitch.

Digital rhetoric and professional writing senior Clare Zammitt and economics senior Brittney Stevenson cuddled up to their boyfriends in the lawn section behind right field.

Tuesday was the second consecutive year Zammitt and Stevenson attended the Crosstown Showdown, and though they said it was a bit colder than they would have liked, the weather was not enough to deter these two self-proclaimed “die-hard MSU fans.”

“We just love Michigan State baseball,” Zammitt said. “If you’re a Michigan State fan, this (weather) is nothing. Think about football: We were freezing.”

Stevenson said she was a bit disappointed at the amount of open seats in the stands, but she said the weather could have had something to do with it.

“It’s cold but amazing,” Stevenson said. “And a lot of people are standing in the beer lines.”

Zammitt and Stevenson will graduate next month, but they each have jobs in Lansing waiting for them when school ends. They plan to be at the Crosstown Showdown for years to come.

But for other students, such as advertising senior Kristen Antioho, this was their first and last experience with the Crosstown Showdown.

Antioho said she always had heard about the game but never had the opportunity to go — but because this is her last year at MSU, she made a point to attend. Though she said it didn’t have the same atmosphere as MSU home football and basketball games, she still had a good time.

“It’s fun. I wish it were warmer, but it’s cool. I like that Sparty is here, and the band is here,” Antioho said.

“Michigan State looks good. I thought the Lugnuts would be better, but we’re looking good. I also liked seeing Dantonio was the first base coach — that was fun.”

Even the crowd members who aren’t devout Lugnuts or Spartan fans could appreciate the fun of the game.

Lischkge said she doesn’t know or care too much about either team — it didn’t matter to her who won — but she still enjoyed the game, and it certainly wouldn’t be her last trip to Cooley Law School Stadium.

“I don’t even know who plays. I’ll be honest I don’t know (the players),” Lischkge said.

But did she have a good time?

“Absolutely.”

Share and discuss “MSU, Lugnuts face off in Showdown” on social media.