MSU leads Big Ten, offers free entertainment

Hi, Chris Vannini here. And I’m here to tell you about an offer you can’t refuse.

If you’re like some people, you think the MSU sports season ends when the men’s basketball team finishes up the NCAA Tournament. But I’m here to tell you you’re wrong.

With the MSU baseball team, you get a team leading the Big Ten in pitching and is No. 2 in hitting and No. 4 in fielding.

But you don’t care about numbers. You care about results.

It’s a team full of characters who are easy to root for. In this latest version, the Spartans are 20-7 overall and alone atop the Big Ten standings with a 5-1 record. They’re also coming off their first-ever three-game sweep of defending Big Ten champion Minnesota.

The Spartans are highlighted by a pair 1-2 punches.

Senior outfielder Brandon Eckerle leads the Big Ten in batting with a .439 average while senior first baseman Jeff Holm is second with a .398 average.

On the mound, the Spartans have two pitchers who lead the Big Ten with six wins each. Senior Kurt Wunderlich and junior Tony Bucciferro give the Spartans an advantage in every three-game series.
You can’t get that anywhere else.

Act now, before it’s too late. The Spartans have five games remaining at McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs Field before spring semester ends. If you are a student, you get into home games absolutely free. That’s right: free.

But we’ve got more. If you act today, you can watch the Spartans take on Oakland (6-15 overall) at Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing at 3 p.m.

But there’s still more! If you head to Cooley Law School Stadium today, you’ll get another game, absolutely free. A doubleheader. That’s two games, for the price of free!

“Word is spreading that we’re for real this year,” Holm said.

Are you giving up on the Detroit Tigers? Then how about you check out the MSU baseball team?

OK. Infomercials aside, the MSU baseball team is for real and is a true contender for its first Big Ten championship since 1979 and fourth of all time. The crowds have been getting bigger at McLane over the last few games and it’s easy to see why.

Along with the sweep of Minnesota, the Spartans swept Michigan in a three-game series for the second time in program history — with all three games played in Ann Arbor.

Most students don’t go to nonrevenue sporting events. Prior to covering this team, I’d only attended one MSU baseball game in my time here. But being a senior, I decided to try to attend at least one game or match for every MSU athletic team — an MSU sports bucket list.

I attended a men’s soccer game in the fall and regretted that I didn’t go to more during my MSU career.

Don’t make that mistake, especially with this team. The MSU baseball team is young, talented, exciting and on a mission. Don’t miss out on it.

Share and discuss “MSU leads Big Ten, offers free entertainment” on social media.