Students rejoice for snow day

Criminal justice sophomore Evan Toyzan had just finished his class near the natural science building when he heard two words ring across campus:

“Snow day!”

Toyzan didn’t believe the student at first, but as he walked across campus, he heard more and more talk about the canceled classes and the day off.

“I heard it might happen but I didn’t think it was going to happen,” Toyzan said.

MSU Provost Kim Wilcox announced at about 3:15 p.m. this afternoon that all classes would be canceled Wednesday in anticipation of a 10 to 16 inch snowstorm expected in the area beginning at about 5 p.m., at which time a blizzard warning is expected to go into effect because of heavy snow and 40 miles per hour winds.

Chemistry senior Caitlin Anderson was sitting in The Peanut Barrel, 521 E. Grand River Ave., with her friend when she received two text messages telling her classes had been canceled.

“I didn’t believe them, so my first reaction was to look at my e-mail,” Anderson said. “(Then) our first reaction was to high five.”

With only a semester left before graduation, Anderson said she is glad a snow day is part of her MSU experience, especially because it is for so few Spartans. MSU has only canceled classes a handful of times in the past 30 years. The last snowday for campus was in 1994.

Political science junior Kelli Beavers said instead of having class from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., she will spend tomorrow catching up on sleep and school work. While she’s glad for the break, she sees the university canceling classes as a sign of the storm to come.

“It actually makes me a bit nervous about the storm,” Beavers said. “It’s clearly gonna be a big one.”

Toyzan will still have to report to his job in the MSU cafeterias tomorrow, but is still excited to be part of the historic day.

“It’s gonna be pretty cool,” he said. “I don’t think it’s going to happen again for a while.”

Share and discuss “Students rejoice for snow day” on social media.