Friday, June 28, 2024

Officials prep area for icy conditions

As students prepare for possible snow this weekend, campus and city officials are working to ensure safe roads and sidewalks throughout East Lansing.

As of press time Thursday, reports showed a likelihood of rain on Saturday and possibly several inches of snow on Sunday, said Janis Laurens, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Grand Rapids.

“Right now, the best bet is that your area wouldn’t get too much snow,” he said.

“(But) there have been a lot of changes. If the low track (shifts, you) could potentially receive (more). I would advise (residents) to stay tuned to later forecasts.”

At MSU, measures are taken to prevent an unsafe buildup of snow or ice on campus, said Gerry Dobbs, MSU Landscape Services ground maintenance manager. “We’re trying to be as proactive as we can, not reactive,” he said.

“We look at all the different possibilities that could happen. I feel very confident we’re pretty well prepared for any snow emergencies that come our way.”

Rain on Saturday and a drop in temperatures Sunday might lead to icy road conditions, Laurens said.

“Temperatures could fall pretty sharply Sunday night,” Laurens said. “When you have a lot of standing water and the temperature is plummeting … there could definitely be some slippery spots.”

Workers spread a brine solution across campus walkways Thursday to combat snow and ice buildup, Dobbs said.

Last year, the department spent about $760,000 on snow removal, he said. Dobbs said about 43 inches of snow accumulated on campus last year.

Spending depends on the amount of snowfall, and in 2008, when 71 inches of snow fell on campus, more than $1 million was spent, Dobbs said. He said budgets for the upcoming winter still are uncertain.

The city of East Lansing budgeted about $302,060 for snow removal this fiscal year, said Public Works administrator Angela Mabin.

Residents or property owners are responsible for removing ice from their property within 24 hours of snow fall or 12 hours of ice formation. Warnings will be issued first, but failure to comply will result in a ticket and an $85 fine.

“We’re prepared for the winter driving season — our road crews are ready to be called in,” Mabin said.

Share and discuss “Officials prep area for icy conditions” on social media.