Monday, October 21, 2024

Cunningham to miss Capital One Bowl

Junior wide receiver B.J. Cunningham hustles toward the endzone during the game against Northwestern on Saturday at Ryan Field in Evanston, Ill. Cunningham had 113 receiving yards and scored a touchdown in the fourth quarter of the game, allowing the Spartans to defeat the Wildcats, 35-27, and secure a 8-0 record.

Junior wide receiver B.J. Cunningham will miss the 2011 Capital One Bowl with a broken foot, MSU announced Tuesday.

Cunningham led the team with 50 catches and nine touchdown catches and was second with 611 receiving yards. He suffered the injury during bowl practice on Dec. 18, and underwent successful surgery the next day. He is expected to completely recover in time to participate in spring practice.

“B.J. Cunningham is a great competitor and he’s extremely disappointed to be out for the Capital One Bowl game against Alabama,” MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said. “B.J. had another outstanding season, and I know that he’ll work hard during his rehab and set himself up for a big senior year.

“Fortunately, wide receiver is a position of strength for this football team, so B.J.’s injury will provide opportunities for others to step forward and make plays for us offensively.”

The Spartans will face-off against defending national champion No. 15 Alabama on Jan. 1, 2011 in Orlando, Fla.

Share and discuss “Cunningham to miss Capital One Bowl” on social media.