Saturday, September 28, 2024

Sorority fights negative body image at MSU

To fight low self-esteem and stereotypes about image-centered sororities, Alpha Omicron Pi will chalk, paint and post flyers to promote self-confidence in students this week.

Throughout the week, the sorority hopes to educate students about positive body image with inspirational quotes for the Be Spartan Confident campaign.

Alpha Omicron Pi will host the Be Spartan Confident Self-Esteem Workshop at 7 p.m. Wednesday at its house, 333 Charles St. Attendees will have the chance to make crafts and talk about self-confidence.

“We hope (students) just obviously read the quotes and get a warm, fuzzy feeling inside, but also that they recognize that a positive self-image is very important,” said Becca Stolarsky, incoming vice president of public relations for Alpha Omicron Pi and a journalism junior.

As a leader in her sorority, Samantha Artley, the outgoing vice president of public relations for Alpha Omicron Pi and social relations and policy junior, said she tries to be a role model for others but personally has struggled with the standards popular culture sets.

“Honestly I have (dealt with self-confidence problems),” Artley said. “But I try to be as self-confident as possible.”

Media interpretations of beauty can negatively affect women’s self-confidence, psychology senior Renee Coulter said. Coulter is not affiliated with the sorority.

“Television shows, models, magazines — they show girls that are stick skinny and that’s about it,” Coulter said. “But really most actresses are considered (unhealthy).”

Positive body image has decreased in both men and women in past years, said Ronda Bokram, a registered dietitian at Olin Health Center.

“I think it’s common in our culture in general, not just college-aged students,” Bokram said. “The United States is a very weight-focused culture.”

Weight is “significantly determined by genetics,” however with weight loss programs people feel pressured to physically change themselves to be accepted in society, Bokram said. She said self-esteem is becoming more based on external appearance as opposed to internal satisfaction.

“We don’t allow for individuality in these things,” Bokram said. “Part of this whole focus is that your self-esteem is based on external validation instead of internal validation.”

At MSU, about 40 percent of students who were not overweight based on body mass index were trying to lose weight, according to the spring 2010 MSU Student Health Assessment.

Problems with self-confidence affect people nationally, not just at MSU, Coulter said.

“I don’t think (self-confidence) is specific to MSU,” Coulter said. “I think that’s just our country.”

Pressures to do well in school also contribute to self-esteem problems in young adults, Artley said.

“People want … our generation to be perfect,” Artley said. “I feel like so many women can’t embrace themselves for who they are.”

The week also is intended to disprove traditional stereotypes that sororities only focus on appearance, Artley said.

“From what I’ve seen being in the greek community, we have a stigma that we’re only focused on appearance,” Artley said. “I wanted to change that stigma and change how people see us.”

Stolarsky said she hopes the events will empower students to become more self-confident.

“It’s what’s on the inside that counts,” Stolarsky said. “We’re just trying to get (it out to) the entire Michigan State campus and the women that physical image is not the most important aspect of you.”

Share and discuss “Sorority fights negative body image at MSU” on social media.