Friday, September 20, 2024

Icers making adjustments at correct times

Junior forward Daultan Leveille skates the puck down the ice in the first period of Saturday’s game against Alabama Huntsville at Munn Ice Arena. MSU beat UAH, 2-1.

Adjustments are one of the key aspects of being a successful sports team.

During breaks and intermissions, coaches and players discuss the strategies of the opponents and make changes to their own.

But being young and unproven, some might have thought the No. 12 MSU hockey team wouldn’t be as successful in making the strategic alterations. This team, however, certainly is quickly changing the minds of those who watch.

The first three weeks of the season have brought the Spartans three vastly different teams. After three series, the Spartans are undefeated — 3-0-3 — including wins and ties at home in Munn Ice Arena against No. 14 Alaska, No. 7 Maine and Alabama-Huntsville.

Coincidentally, MSU has played each series with a tie in the first game and a win in the second after altering the game plans to better suit the team at hand.

In the first weekend, against a high-powered Maine offense, MSU pulled off a surprising comeback in the first game. Down 3-1 after the first intermission, the “defensive-minded” Spartans put forth an offensive outburst, and finished the game in a 4-4 tie. The next night, MSU secured a 2-0 lead, gave up two power-play scores late in the third period, only to get a game-winner from senior forward Dustin Gazley just minutes later.

After proving they can play with a scoring juggernaut, the Spartans moved on to Alaska. The Nanooks, a hard-hitting and slow-paced team, lulled the Spartans to sleep in the first game, a 1-1 tie — and an Alaska shootoutvictory. The Spartans turned around the next night, after the disappointing “loss” and used scoring from three different defensemen to power past the Nanooks, 4-1.

And then there was this past weekend. After playing two top-10 teams, MSU admitted it might have treated the one-win Alabama-Huntsville team too lightly. Leading 4-1 in Friday’s game, the Spartans let up offensively, allowing the Chargers to have control of the puck. Alabama-Huntsville scored three goals in the last four minutes for a tie. A slew of line changes came the next night and MSU took the lesson of playing a full game to heart, winning 2-1.

Little might have been expected from the Spartans — ranked No. 20 in the preseason poll — but as the season slowly is unfolding, MSU is showing it isn’t to be taken lightly.

Head coach Rick Comley has been expedient in making apparent changes to the team. The players follow suit, learning from the mistakes they made.

But Comley even has admitted just to letting the team play. After struggling with special teams the first couple of games, he allowed the normal lines to play and it paid off.

The team came into the season not knowing who would shoulder the scoring load. Balanced scoring really hasn’t been an issue, as the team’s 18 goals have come from 10 different players.

Even more important to the success of the team so far is the mentality it takes into the games.

The players preach how they stick to and believe in Comley’s system and the roles they have to play to be successful. The players don’t mind if they aren’t the ones being called upon to score and instead throw their bodies in front of slap shots and literally take one for the team.

The Spartans truly believe they are a team. They want the best for MSU and not just themselves. Believing in Comley and themselves, the alterations to win aren’t a major hurdle for the Spartans.

Pat Evans is a State News sports reporter. He can be reached at evanspa7@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Icers making adjustments at correct times” on social media.