Saturday, September 28, 2024

ASMSU, Olin work to educate MSU students about alcohol

Olin Health Center is teaming up with ASMSU to provide resources for students who overconsume alcohol.
ASMSU is MSU’s undergraduate student government.

Most students at MSU drink responsibly, but those who do over-drink typically go to Lansing’s Sparrow Hospital, said Becky Allen, alcohol, tobacco and other drug educator at Olin.

“We have resources on campus … to make sure that doesn’t happen again,” Allen said.

The center has cards that list substance abuse resources available on campus and throughout East Lansing, and ASMSU is working to provide inserts with a friendly note encouraging students to seek legal or counseling assistance if they drink too much, ASMSU spokeswoman Elizabeth Brumfield said.

“We want to keep it friendly,” Brumfield said. “It says, ‘You’re a Spartan and we’re all part of a large family and we care about your health and safety.’”

Currently, the resource cards are available at Sparrow Hospital, the MSU Counseling Center and with resident mentors throughout campus, Allen said.

Emily Serkaian, ASMSU director of governmental affairs, said the ASMSU inserts in the alcohol resource cards are part of an education campaign connected to the medical amnesty bill the group is working to pass before the end of the legislative session.

Developed last year by ASMSU representatives, the bill would give a minor immunity from minor in possession, or MIP, charges if he or she needed to receive medical attention for complications arising from consumption of alcohol. Minors who call on behalf of the person in need of medical attention or accompany them to the hospital also would be exempt.

The resource cards are a way to help students find someone to talk to about their alcohol consumption, she said. They list resources including the MSU Counseling Center, ASMSU Legal Services and Alcoholics Anonymous.

“It’s encouragement to have a discussion with someone so that an obviously awful moment — having to go to the hospital for overconsumption of alcohol — can be a teaching moment,” Serkaian said in an e-mail.

Allen said the new inserts in the cards are a part of a “Make the Call” campaign Olin and ASMSU are hoping to roll out if medical amnesty passes. The campaign encourages students to make the call to cut a friend off when they are drinking too much, call for medical help if a friend loses consciousness from overconsumption and call a resource center if they are the ones to over drink.

If a student is at Sparrow Hospital for alcohol abuse and doctors realize they are an MSU student, they usually will be handed a resource card, she said.

Human biology sophomore Janice McAulay said she would know to call for help if she noticed a friend was drinking too much.

“They usually have police officers that come into all the dorms every semester (to talk about alcohol),” McAulay said.

Share and discuss “ASMSU, Olin work to educate MSU students about alcohol” on social media.