Friday, June 28, 2024

BMX rider comes to MSU as part of tour

Professional BMX rider Terry Adams stopped at MSU as part of a countrywide university tour which is sponsored by Red Bull. The tour gave fans the chance to speak with Adams, as well as watch his talent in person.

Casually flipping and spinning his bike Monday on MSU’s campus, professional BMX rider Terry Adams was living his dream.

Adams is on a monthlong college tour promoting flatland BMX riding and the energy drink, Red Bull. He held a demonstration in front of a small crowd at the basketball court at Brody Complex, Monday.
“The purpose of the tour is to hang out and mingle with students,” Adams said.

Adams, who is known internationally for being a flatland BMX rider as opposed to the more well-known vertical style, performed for more than an hour as onlookers watched.

Flatland BMX is a stationary form of riding while executing tricks without using ramps, jumps or grinds.

“Flatland is a whole different discipline of BMX,” he said. “It’s much more of an art form. It’s like break-dancing on a bike.”

The occasional chant of “Do it again” would anonymously rain down from the windows of Brody Complex.

Standing off to the side watching Adams with a few friends was supply chain management freshman Patrick Rooney. He said he was impressed by Adams’ skills and would try the sport himself.

“I’d attempt it,” Rooney said. “But I wouldn’t be as good as (Adams).”

In 2005, Adams won the gold medal at the Asian X Games in Korea, which earned him Ride BMX Magazine’s NORA Cup award for Flatland Rider of the Year, signifying the best flatland BMX rider. In 2008, he won the award again and solidified himself as one of the elite in the world of flatland BMX.

In addition to his awards, Adams has posed for the cover of several popular BMX magazines including BMX Plus! Magazine, Props Video Magazine and Ride BMX Magazine.

“I’m doing this just wanting to be the best, I guess,” Adams said. “I’m keeping my dreams alive. Red Bull gives athletes the opportunity to do things like this.”

Fellow Red Bull BMX rider Thomas Oehler will perform Saturday at the tennis courts by Wilson and Case Halls prior to MSU’s football game vs. Western Michigan.

Adams performed Tuesday at the University of Michigan and will perform Wednesday at Wayne State University. Adams said it’s certain that he, like so many students on campus, is just chasing his dreams.

“We’re just finding spots and hanging out,” Adams said. “Wherever they’re taking me, I’m cruising.”

Share and discuss “BMX rider comes to MSU as part of tour” on social media.