Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Hardest workers deserve accolade

Cristina Toscano

What do you think of when you hear the word “valedictorian”? I assume most of us know the title typically means “a student who has earned their spot as having the highest grade point average, GPA, in his or her graduating class.” Lately it has been a growing trend among high schools in the U.S. to sprinkle a few more students in there. And by “a few,” I mean anywhere ranging from three to 94 students.

In an article from The New York Times, “Principals say that recognizing multiple valedictorians reduces pressure and competition among students, and is a more equitable way to honor achievement, particularly when No. 1 and No. 5 may be separated by only the smallest fraction of a grade from sophomore science.”

That small fraction of a grade really can make a difference between the student who stayed in on a Saturday night to study for that science exam and the student who put off studying until they were cured from their weekend road trip.

When I graduated from high school in 2008, we had three valedictorians, but we had only 122 in our graduating class. It was known they all had the exact same GPA down to the last decimal, but I still wondered if test scores and community service were ever taken into account. I was not one of the three valedictorians, but I certainly can empathize with the student who knows for a fact they worked harder to deserve the title more than the person standing next to them.

I doubt being one of three people to speak at graduation and receive the title of valedictorian probably would not feel as special when it basically means an individual was as smart and hardworking as a bunch of other people.

Bestowing everyone with that honorary title lessens the motivation for future students to work harder. It sets an example that teaches students to expect the same kind of treatment as they continue to grow up and enter the real world. Why would anyone even have the desire to work harder at anything if it is hardly recognized?

It seems as though we live in a time where it looks better to diminish the significance of accomplishments because — heaven forbid — the toes of some inordinately overbearing parents and their equally whiny teenagers might be stepped on. One day these students are going to experience failures in their lives either from not getting a job that 30 other applicants want or not getting the guy that 30 other girls want.

When we enter college and are one of 400 students in a class, we’re lucky if our professor even remembers our name, let alone our GPA or ACT scores. I think these post-high school rejections and feelings of unimportance might sting a little bit more than telling a student he or she didn’t cut it for the position of valedictorian. Besides, during the long speeches of graduation, shouldn’t students be glad they don’t have to be the next one in line so they can sit back and enjoy the larger moment?

Many people jump to the conclusion that teachers and school administrators are inflating grades to give their schools higher rankings and send their students off to the best colleges in the nation.

Overbearing parents also might bear some of the blame. All parents want to see their children succeed, but some will go to unfair lengths to see that it happens — even if by doing so they water down the meaning of those accomplishments.

I understand school administrators are all trying to be fair and I certainly have no qualms with a second or third place, but at the end of the day there can be only one winner. I think that winner should be decided not only by who possesses the highest GPA and test scores of all of those graduating, but also who volunteers, demonstrates leadership abilities within their extracurricular activities and gives back to their community.

The competition to be the best in high school can be cutthroat, and that reputation is well deserved. At the same time, I still maintain that a person’s abilities aren’t simply defined by numbers. Their true character will eventually become clear when they enter the real world.

Cristina Toscano is a State News guest columnist. Reach her at toscanoc@msu.edu.

Share and discuss “Hardest workers deserve accolade” on social media.