Sunday, May 19, 2024

OISS hosts World Cup broadcast for MSU students

ESL summer international students Tadaomi Shiraishi, left, and Donghyun Kang, right, react when a possible goal was missed during the France vs. Uruguay World Cup match on Friday in the International Center. Shiraishi and Kang were rooting for France, and the match resulted in a 0-0 tie.

(Editor’s note: This story was changed to reflect the correct spelling of Onur Agirseven’s name.)

The U.S. soccer team was not playing Friday, but that didn’t prevent history graduate student Ben Sawyer, along with a crowd of MSU students, from enjoying the opening day of the 2010 FIFA World Cup at the International Center.

“It’s the greatest sporting event in the world,” Sawyer said.

The Office for International Students and Scholars, or OISS, hosts a broadcast of the World Cup every four years as a way for international students to get together and cheer for their favorite teams, said Peter Briggs, the director of OISS and organizer of the month-long event. After success in 2006, OISS faculty decided to place a projection screen in the Crossroads Food Court to allow students from around the world to watch the World Cup action, which will continue until July 11.

“I came here knowing the nexus of the internationalization of the university and how much the World Cup and soccer means to a lot of people around the world,” Briggs said. “We have such a vibrant and strong international community to connect Michigan State and this event.”

Briggs said although there were about 6,600 students who came to the event in 2006, he hopes the numbers will only increase this year.

“I would imagine we’ll do at least as much,” he said. “We’ve given a bit more promotion to it, and we’d love to see community members come in and be part of the international community because the international students will definitely be here and involved in this.”

Sawyer said he enjoyed the unique atmosphere of watching the game with his international friends, which wouldn’t be available at any other venues in East Lansing.

“It’s not crowded like a bar, and nobody is drunk around me,” he said.

Onur Agirseven, who was born in Turkey and currently is working with OISS, said soccer means everything in his home country.

“Winning the World Cup would be like being the king of the world for everyone in the country,” Agirseven said. “In 2002, when (Turkey) won third place, it was like one big party for the entire month.”

The Turkish native was in the audience Friday and wore his national team’s jersey. His club failed to make the tournament, but he said his experience at the International Center in 2006 made him want to return.

“They’re doing a great job with flyers, advertising and promotion,” he said. “Some of the things that might (still) need some improvement are flags or some other (decorations). They have to walk a fine line by providing stuff that will make people happy and not providing anything that will make people unhappy.”

The idea that the atmosphere will be laid-back during games was laughable, Briggs said.

“Oh no, it will be energetic,” he said.

Share and discuss “OISS hosts World Cup broadcast for MSU students” on social media.