Saturday, May 4, 2024

Nebraska matching up against the Big Ten

Jeremy Warnemuende

Last Friday, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany announced Nebraska as the 12th member of the conference, and since then, he and other conference officials have talked a lot about how well Nebraska fits the Big Ten profile.
Here is a look at how Nebraska fits in the Big Ten athletically in five of the most prominent college sports.

Football

Few programs in the country have as much tradition as Nebraska football. With five national championships since 1970, the Cornhuskers are tied for first nationally with Alabama and Miami for championships in that time span.
After two consecutive Big 12 North Division titles, Nebraska should immediately be making some noise in the Big Ten. Don’t be surprised if Big Red challenges Ohio State, who has earned at least a share of the last five Big Ten championships for its perch on top of the Big Ten already in 2011.

Men’s basketball

When it comes to history and success, Nebraska basketball is the exact opposite of the school’s football program. Around for more than 100 years, the Cornhuskers have been to only six NCAA Tournaments and lost in the first round each time.
Moving to the Big Ten shouldn’t make much of a difference for Cornhusker basketball. In a loaded Big Ten Conference that likely still will be loaded two years from now, when the Cornhuskers become a part of the equation, finishing better than 10th place would be unexpected.

Women’s basketball

Although Nebraska women’s basketball has been around for only one-third of the amount of time as the men’s program, it already has seen more success. Since women’s basketball became a varsity sport at Nebraska in 1975, it has made nine NCAA Tournament appearances, including three in the last four years.
Much like football, Nebraska should make an immediate splash in the Big Ten in 2011. The Cornhuskers have only three seniors they will lose after next season and will return 11 players total.

Baseball

Since 1999, the Nebraska baseball team has been to 10 Big 12 Tournaments. Although simply making conference tournaments rarely is an indication of a strong program, it is when it comes to the Big 12, which is one of the best baseball conferences in the country.
The transition from playing in the south, where warmer temperatures make baseball friendly, to Big Ten country might have an effect on the Cornhuskers. But the lower level of competition in the Big Ten should give Nebraska an opportunity to do well in its new conference.

Volleyball

Cornhuskers volleyball has been the most successful Nebraska team of the last decade. After winning its first national championship in 1995, Nebraska won two more titles in 2000 and 2006.
Penn State has won the last three national championships since Nebraska’s latest. The Cornhuskers still have been in the national picture and might be a team that finally can challenge Penn State in the Big Ten.

Jeremy Warnemuende is a State News sports reporter, he can be reached at warnemu3@msu.edu

Share and discuss “Nebraska matching up against the Big Ten” on social media.