Friday, June 28, 2024

Chili cook-off aids area organizations

The 2010 Lansing Board of Water & Light Chili Cook-Off took place from 5-9 p.m. Friday at Adado Riverfront Park, 300 N. Grand Ave. Jamie Nordberg of Corner Bar, 505 E. Shiawassee St., in Lansing, explain the special ingredients in the restaurant’s chili recipe this year. It also takes a look at the process of handing out the various awards for the cook-off.

Sweet or spicy and meaty or meatless were just a few versions of chili offered by 42 different vendors Friday night at the 2010 Lansing Board of Water & Light Chili Cook-Off at Adado Riverfront Park, 300 N. Grand Ave., in Lansing.

Prior to a storm closing the cook-off, thousands of people crowded the various chili stations to satisfy — and in some cases burn — their taste buds. Dan Barnes, executive assistant to the Board of Water & Light’s chief financial officer, said contact with community members is a crucial part in the cook-off’s success.

“It’s a lot of community networking with different people working together,” he said. “It’s basically all on sponsorship because we want to give to charities. It’s not an open checkbook, so we really have to work hard.”

The annual cook-off allows residents and restaurants to battle head-to-head in a variety of food categories, with proceeds going to local organizations.

The Sparrow Foundation, Hope Scholarship Fund and Impression 5 Science Center are the three main organizations to receive a portion of the proceeds. Erik Larson, executive director of the Impression 5 Science Center, said the organization already has plans for the funds.

“Impression 5’s portion will be used to support a program called Adopt-A-River,” he said. “We recruit about 700 volunteers twice a year to clean up the river banks. We literally haul trash out of the river.”

The Impression 5 group coordinated and worked with the judges, which included Lansing City Councilmembers Kathie Dunbar and Derrick Quinney, state Rep. Joan Bauer, D-Lansing, and local television broadcast personalities.

Ultimately, the judges chose Texas Roadhouse, 280 E. Edgewood Blvd., in Lansing, as the 2010 recipients of the Best Restaurant Chili award. The result dampened the spirits of 41 other vendors, including the Lansing Fire Department, or LFD.

The LFD has won about 10 awards from past cook-offs, said Brad Jorae, who served chili for the Lansing squad. Jorae said new management might have contributed to their off year.

“One guy was in charge for a long time but this year he turned it over to a new guy so it’s a new recipe,” Jorae said.

Jorae refused to disclose the ingredients in their 2010 chili, but said the previous year’s recipe was spicier and contained pork and beef.

When the rain hit and forced the crowd inside, Lansing resident Jeff Wareck said he was among the many disappointed he didn’t get to taste all of the chili.

“The Lansing Fire Department usually has the best but I didn’t get a chance to try it,” he said.

Share and discuss “Chili cook-off aids area organizations” on social media.