Spartan baseball loses finale, takes series from Indiana

Freshman third baseman Torsten Boss tags Indiana catcher Dylan Swift for the third out in the top of the sixth inning Sunday at McLane Stadium.

After taking the first two games in a vital three-game conference series against Indiana, the MSU baseball team had its four-game winning streak snapped Sunday at McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs Field, losing to the Hoosiers, 10-7.

“It’s a disappointing way to end it for sure,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “We had a chance to sweep the series, but at the same time, we won the series and got ourselves back in the hunt.”

The game started out in hectic fashion as both teams were able to take advantage of a wild first inning that featured eight combined runs on eight hits.

After Indiana (25-24 overall, 10-11 Big Ten) got to sophomore pitcher Tony Bucciferro for four hits and four runs in the top half of the inning, MSU (32-17, 10-11) responded by cashing in on two critical errors and tying the score at four after one.

For the next three innings, both teams’ bats were relatively quiet, with the only run coming on an RBI double by Hoosier outfielder Alex Dickerson.

But Bucciferro’s first-inning woes returned in the fifth inning when Indiana designated hitter Josh Lyon hit a three-run home run to extend the lead to 8-4. After Bucciferro struggled through four and one-third innings, giving up eight hits and seven earned runs, Boss was forced to take the righthander out of the game.

“I left the ball up in the zone, and (Indiana) was just hitting the ball all over the park,” Bucciferro said. “They were aggressive, but they swung at almost all good pitches. When I made a mistake, they capitalized on it.”

In the sixth inning, the Spartans began to put together what appeared to be the third comeback from a multiple-run deficit in as many games. Freshman second baseman Ryan Jones brought two runners home on a base hit to left field to bring the Spartans to within two.

MSU’s comeback aspirations, however, would stop there.

After the Hoosiers extended their lead to 10-6 in the seventh, junior first baseman Jeff Holm hit a solo home run in the bottom half of the inning to trim the lead to three, but the Spartans were unable to score any runs in the eighth or ninth innings. Holm led the Spartans with three hits and three RBIs on the day.

The loss moves MSU back into a tie with Indiana and two other teams for fifth in the Big Ten. The top six teams in the conference go to the Big Ten Tournament so senior outfielder Eli Boike said taking two out of three from Indiana was important for the Spartans, even if they could not complete
the sweep.

“It’s real huge because we definitely needed a series win to put us in good position to reach the Big Ten Tournament,” Boike said. “Right now we’re just taking everything one game at a time. Every game we play is the most important one, and if we take care of business, the standings will take care of themselves.”

In addition to having implications in the Big Ten Conference standings, Sunday’s game also was important for Boike and the five other MSU seniors because it was their final home game as Spartans. Senior Day activities included the seniors being honored prior to the game and the team banquet later Sunday evening.

Before heading to Northwestern for the final conference series next weekend, MSU returns to action at 3:05 p.m. Tuesday against Central Michigan at Theunissen Stadium in Mount Pleasant, Mich.

Share and discuss “Spartan baseball loses finale, takes series from Indiana” on social media.