Friday, October 25, 2024

Program helps students recycle

This year will mark the 14th annual Pack Up, Pitch In, Help Out program at MSU as students prepare to leave for the summer.

The program helps to promote environmental sustainability on campus by providing easy ways for students to recycle plastics, white paper, mixed paper, wood and carpet.

The Pack Up, Pitch In, Help Out initiative is coordinated by MSU’s Campus Living Services, Office of Recycling, Office of Waste Management, MSU Bikes and the city of East Lansing.

The university also accepts items for donation to charitable organizations in the local area. Students can donte items such as clothes, shoes, food, bikes, furniture and many more dorm and household items.

Diane Barker, assistant director for Residential and Hospitality Services, said students should try to get a head start on cleaning and moving out of their dorm rooms and houses in the area.

“Don’t wait until the last minute,” she said. “Try to do it in stages. Managing the volume of things that we manage all on Friday for move-out is cumbersome, but if we can do it in stages, it’s easier to get things in the right places, recycled or reused instead of being thrown away.”

Students can find portable storage units throughout campus complexes for carpet collection, and drop-off locations in MSU residence halls will continue through May 10.

The East Lansing Community Center will accept items from May 6-7, and University Village will collect through May 10.

Cherry Lane, Faculty Brick and Spartan Village apartments will be collection from May 10-14.

Visit liveon.msu.edu for more information, dates and drop-off locations.

Share and discuss “Program helps students recycle” on social media.