Offense explodes as MSU opens Big Ten play with series win

Senior designated hitter Chris Roberts slides back to first base from a leadoff that nearly got him out Sunday at Kobs Field. MSU beat Iowa 26-11.

It took a little while for the MSU baseball team’s offense to get rolling Sunday.

But when the Spartans found their groove, they made Iowa pay, routing the Hawkeyes 26-11 on Sunday at McLane Baseball Stadium in the rubber match of the first Big Ten series of the season for both teams.

After putting up two runs through the first three innings, MSU exploded in the fourth and fifth innings, posting six and 12 runs, respectively.

The 26 runs scored by the Spartans was a high for the season.

MSU tallied 31 hits as well, also a season high.

“I’ve never really been a part of something like today; it’s just a fluke thing where it all clicks at one time,” MSU head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “We are pretty comfortable at the plate right now and our hitting was contagious. When it’s going good for a few guys, it seems like other guys catch on and all of a sudden the ball is rolling.”

MSU had a 26-2 lead entering the ninth inning, but the score was tightened when the Hawkeyes recorded nine runs on MSU senior closer Kurtis Frymier.

Senior designated hitter Chris Roberts tallied a two-run home run and junior center fielder Brandon Eckerle tacked on a three-run home run during the Spartans’ offensive outburst in the fifth inning. MSU’s 12 runs in the fifth was a single-inning season-high.

“Today was one of those days where it seemed like a softball up there,” said Eckerle, who went 6-for-7 from the plate and recorded five RBIs. “Everything looked good and everyone in the order was contributing. Even when we got down to the bottom of the order, guys got on base.”

Friday’s loss to Iowa in the conference opener snapped MSU’s 11-game winning streak.

But instead of dwelling on the loss, the Spartans used it as extra motivation.

“We were a little bit sour after the first game loss in the series,” senior right fielder Eli Boike said. “It kind of woke us up I think. It was good for us and we played well the rest of the series.”

Although the Spartans earned the dominant victory, Iowa actually got on the board first in the first inning and took an early 1-0 lead. Through the first five innings, the Hawkeyes put their leadoff man on base four times.

But a strong starting pitching performance from sophomore Tony Bucciferro (4-2) and sound defensive play kept the Hawkeyes from posting any big numbers offensively.
Iowa scored single runs in the first and third innings before the nine-run ninth inning.

The Spartans put the game away in the fourth and fifth innings, as MSU batted through the order in both innings and 26 batters came to the plate in the two-inning span.

“Everybody was rolling today,” junior first baseman Jeff Holm said. “I don’t think we could have done anything better offensively. Everybody just had a great game.”

MSU has won 13 of its last 14 games.

The Spartans (19-5 overall, 2-1 Big Ten) will host Bowling Green at 3:05 p.m. Tuesday in a midweek nonconference game at McLane.

Then Wednesday, MSU will compete in the Crosstown Showdown against the Lansing Lugnuts starting at 7:05 p.m. at Cooley Law School Stadium in Lansing.

“We’ve got ourselves out on the right foot,” Boss said. “If you stay consistent and win every series, you put yourself in a pretty good position at the end of the year. We had a hiccup on Friday and didn’t play well. But our guys answered the bell Saturday and Sunday.”

Share and discuss “Offense explodes as MSU opens Big Ten play with series win” on social media.