Wednesday, May 1, 2024

Changing the way the Spartans play the ballgame

Editor’s note: To see how this story appeared in the print edition, click here and scroll down to “Sports Page Fronts.”

MSU athletics director Mark Hollis found exactly what he was looking for.

Year in and year out, it seemed as though the MSU baseball team couldn’t take the next step. But after a nationwide search, Hollis was convinced he had found his man to take over the team and turn it upside down.

The Spartans’ new stadium was in the works, and the program desperately needed a new direction. It just wouldn’t be fitting to have a sparkling new stadium and a team that couldn’t compete.

When former head coach David Grewe announced his resignation in June 2008, Hollis began the process of finding the new face of MSU baseball.

He didn’t have to look far. Jake Boss Jr. was less than 100 miles away at Eastern Michigan, and in only one season, he had established the Eagles as a powerhouse in the MAC conference fresh off an NCAA Tournament appearance.

Hollis was certain Boss’ experience and personality could put MSU baseball on the map.

“So many times it comes down to fit and what’s going to work at MSU, and there was no question that throughout the whole process, Jake clicked on every cylinder,” Hollis said. “He’s a coach who knows how to be successful. When you are turning a program around, it’s not a sprint; it’s a marathon.”

In only Boss’ second season at the helm, the Spartans have made a drastic turnaround.

Yes, Boss’ first season started slowly, as the Spartans lost 14 of their first 16 games. But the team went on a late run and qualified for the six-team Big Ten Tournament, its first since 2004.

Fast-forward to this season where MSU has jumped out to one of the hottest starts in program history. The Spartans (22-7 overall, 4-2 Big Ten) currently sit in a three-way tie for first place in the Big Ten.

It seems every aspect of the Spartans’ game is clicking this season. They have shut down starting pitching, the bats have come to life and MSU currently holds the best fielding percentage in the nation.

But maybe most importantly, the players are having fun. And that’s key to Boss.

From day one, Boss came in and laid his goals down for the team. It didn’t take long for the Spartans to buy in to his philosophies.

“In my first meeting with the team, I said we need to expect to be better than we had been in the past,” Boss said. “We needed to expect to contend for a championship every year. Getting into the conference championship last year was great, but it’s not good enough. The reality of the situation is that we finished fifth in the league. That’s right in the middle. I don’t want to be average, and I don’t think our guys want to be average.”

Jake Boss Jr.

When asked to describe their skipper in just a few words, numerous Spartans uttered the same phrase — Jake Boss Jr. is a “players’ coach.”

His loose coaching style is in sharp contrast to former MSU head coach David Grewe, who was known for his in-your-face aggressive style.

“With coaches that are real tight, it’s hard to play with your instincts. You are always worried about failing,” junior shortstop Jonathan Roof said. “But with coach Boss, if you fail, it’s like, ‘Oh, well it’s not that big of a deal, just get the next one.’ It’s more productive.”

Boss’ positive attitude has helped the Spartans remember why they started playing baseball in the first place — because it’s fun.

McLane Baseball Stadium

For years, the MSU baseball team’s home field lagged behind other schools in the Big Ten and Midwest.

But with last season’s opening of McLane Baseball Stadium at Kobs Field, the Spartans now play in one of the most pristine facilities in the conference.

“This stadium means a lot to every player and to the program as a whole,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “It’s very significant. It’s a thing when you walk in and bring recruits in here, there is a ‘W ow’ factor to it.”

The new stadium has treated the Spartans well. Since the first game played at McLane Stadium on April 4, 2009, MSU has posted a 17-5 record on the field.

With a new stadium, attendance figures also have increased, and it’s never a bad thing to have more people cheering for the Green and White.

“There have been a lot more fans at every game this year than last year,” junior first baseman Jeff Holm said. “It’s a great atmosphere for us to play in.”

Defense

Mistakes happen in baseball.

But the Spartans aren’t familiar with the feelings associated with botching an easy ground ball.

MSU’s .984 fielding percentage is top in the nation. The Spartans also have committed a Big Ten-low 18 errors this season. The next closest conference team is Michigan, which has committed 38.

At the heart of MSU’s defensive prowess is the team’s confidence when fielding the ball. The Spartans aren’t afraid to attempt the spectacular play, and more often than not this season, they have converted.

It all stems from head coach Jake Boss Jr.’s philosophy: Play aggressively, and don’t be afraid of slip-ups.

“When guys play loose and free and easy, I think they are better,” Boss said. “I want guys to be comfortable and not be afraid to make mistakes. We need to realize there are eight other talented guys on the field with you, so someone will always pick you up.”

Team chemistry

A major key to the Spartans’ success this season can’t be measured with numbers.

It’s tough to walk by the MSU dugout without hearing words of encouragement or seeing high-fives exchanged between the players. It’s clear that this team meshes well.

“We weren’t as tight as a group as we are now,” senior right fielder Eli Boike said of last year’s team. “We are all real good friends and we all have this common goal. We are trying to get toward a Big Ten Championship.”

The coaching change also brought on an adjustment period. Now the team is hitting on all cylinders.

“They know more what to expect and we know more about what to expect from them,” Boss said. “They’ve bought into the philosophies we brought here and are executing really well right now.”

Aggressive base running

If you think baseball is boring, you haven’t seen this year’s team play.

The Spartans’ aggressive offensive style makes the team exciting to watch. They aren’t afraid to swing at a first-pitch fastball, and they certainly aren’t afraid to get moving on the basepaths.

When Boss came to MSU, he brought an aggressive base-running philosophy

His attack-first style has paid off so far this season, as the Spartans have gone 66-for-86 (77 percent) in stolen base attempts.

“We practice a lot of base stealing in the fall and winter,” said junior first baseman Jeff Holm, who leads MSU with 19 stolen bases. “It was really stressed to us all year. The more guys moving, the more runs, and then the more wins.”

Freshman impact

Because Boss came to MSU last summer, this year’s freshmen are his first recruiting class.

He found some talent.

Two freshmen have established themselves as everyday starters in the infield, and on the mound, the freshmen have been in charge of the midweek nonconference games.

The rookies’ play has been impressive.

“We are excited to see how much better they are going to get,” head coach Jake Boss Jr. said. “It’s encouraging when you look out on the field and you see four freshmen out there for games.”

The upperclassmen also have been impressed with the contributions the freshmen have been able to make.

“Any time you get a chance, you need to make the most of it and ours have done that,” senior infielder Chris Roberts said. “They’ve come in during some crucial situations and succeeded. We wouldn’t be where we are now without them.”

Pitching

The Spartans’ three-man pitching rotation has been nasty so far this season.

Junior A.J. Achter, junior Kurt Wunderlich and sophomore Tony Bucciferro have been the root of the Spartans’ success through the conference slate so far. All three have earned run averages below five.

The rest of MSU’s pitching staff hasn’t been too shabby, either. MSU’s team-wide 4.74 earned run average is third in the Big Ten.

The Spartans’ tight defensive play, which also leads the Big Ten, has given the pitchers plenty of confidence on the mound.

“We know if the batter is able to put the ball in play, our defense is going to make the play,” Achter said.

Hitting

The Spartans have been extremely balanced at the plate.

MSU’s .335 batting average is good for second place in the Big Ten. But what makes that stat even more impressive is that the Spartans don’t have any hitters in the top-10 of the conference individual batting statistics.

Only four of the Spartans’ everyday starters are hitting above .375. But a handful of Spartans are bouncing around the .300 mark. And when the team has needed it most, someone has stepped up with a clutch at-bat.

It has been this steady teamwide approach that has translated into a conference-high 258 runs.

“Everybody is buying into what we are trying to do at the plate,” junior first baseman Jeff Holm said. “We aren’t going to have someone on the team who is going to hit 15 home runs. So we are going to have to play some small ball. It’s been working pretty well so far.”

Share and discuss “Changing the way the Spartans play the ballgame” on social media.