Wednesday, October 23, 2024

NMSU student 'bleeds green'

Knoblock

New Mexico State University student Blake Knoblock grew up in Traverse City, Mich., and has been an MSU basketball fan since he can remember. Knoblock, 21, now is in his junior year and majoring in film and creative writing.

This week, The State News caught up with Knoblock, who will be attending Friday’s game and asked him what he expects from Friday’s game.

The State News How long have you been an MSU fan?

Blake Knoblock I’ve been an MSU basketball fan for forever. Growing up, I went to camps there and saw them win the championship live in Indianapolis in 2000.

SN What was your reaction to seeing MSU draw New Mexico State in the first round?

BK I had a mixed reaction. I’d really like to see both teams advance, so I was kind of upset too because I know MSU’s going to win.

SN Who’s your favorite player from each team?

BK For MSU, it’s definitely (sophomore forward) Draymond Green. He plays physically. When I played basketball, I was a physical player, and I’m sick of seeing the referees call touch fouls underneath the basket. For NMSU, it’s sophomore forward Troy Gillenwater. He’s really good, and I think one of the only players who will be able to succeed against MSU.

SN What’s the key for each team to be successful?

BK MSU just has to play the way it can play. If MSU plays like it can, it should win. NMSU is a pretty fast and athletic team, and I think it’s going to be interesting.

SN Who are you rooting for?

BK MSU. I bleed green.

Share and discuss “NMSU student 'bleeds green'” on social media.