Tuesday, October 22, 2024

Jenrette, Smith get jail time, three others get probation for Rather Hall fight

Current players Deane, Rucker get 12 months probation, former player Williams gets 18 months probation

Deane

Former MSU football player Roderick Jenrette was sentenced to 90 days in jail, current MSU wide receiver Fred Smith was sentenced to five days in jail and three other former or current players received probation Friday for their role in a November 2009 fight at Rather Hall.

Jenrette will report to Ingham County Jail on April 9 to begin his sentence, which was handed down by East Lansing 54-B District Court Judge David Jordon. Jenrette’s attorney, Damian Anthes, said his client will be meeting with two schools in the meantime about enrolling and playing football.

Jenrette pleaded guilty in February to one count of aggravated assault and one count of assault and battery.

Smith, a sophomore, is expected to serve his five days in jail at a date to be determined after pleading guilty in February to one count of conspiracy to commit assault and battery. The Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office didn’t request jail time in its presentencing report, and Smith’s attorney, Norman Gaffney Jr., said he will confer with prosecutors about the sentence, leaving open the possibility that Smith won’t serve any jail time.

“If that is the agreement (of prosecutors), then he will serve the jail time,” Gaffney said.

Junior offensive lineman J’Micheal Deane and junior cornerback Chris L. Rucker each received 12 months probation for their role in the Rather Hall fight. Former redshirt freshman defensive end Jamiihr Williams received 18 months probation. All three pleaded guilty in February to single counts of assault and battery.

The charges stem from a Nov. 22, 2009, fight at Rather Hall, where MSU football players attacked members of the Iota Phi Theta fraternity during a potluck. All 11 players charged in connection with the fight have pleaded guilty and seven have been sentenced.

For more on this story, see Monday’s edition of The State News.

Share and discuss “Jenrette, Smith get jail time, three others get probation for Rather Hall fight” on social media.