Monday, May 13, 2024

'Shutter Island' keeps audience waiting until end

Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo, left) and Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) are two detectives sent from the mainland to investigate a mysterious disappearance on an island prison for the criminally insane in the thriller “Shutter Island.” The Paramount Pictures film was directed by Martin Scorsese.

With more than a four-month delay by Paramount Pictures, “Shutter Island” finally hit the silver screen. Truly, good things do come to those who wait.

Moviegoers are in for a thrill when Martin Scorsese’s film, based off the 2003 novel of the same name by Dennis Lehane, takes the audience to a far-off rock in the sea, home not only to lush forests, but a mental hospital for the criminally insane.

Followed by his brave partner, Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo), United States Marshal Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) is investigating a mysterious disappearance of a woman from Shutter Island’s Ashecliffe Hospital.

Viewers quickly will wonder how this woman is able to escape as patients are continuously monitored and under extreme lockdown — some are even shackled while raking the front lawn of the facility.

Although trailers for the film have given it a suspenseful, thrilling and even horror-like feel, all terms apply but the latter. “Shutter Island” is a perfect fit for Scorsese’s wide-ranging portfolio of box office hits. The overall genre of mystery would be the best description — don’t expect to know what’s happening in every scene.
Scorsese’s magic is at work throughout the entire production.

Two or three dream sequences are key points in the plot, as well as the character development of Daniels. The fast paced, flashing lights and strange occurrences feel as though the viewer is dreaming with the film.

Once these scenes conclude and Daniels awakes, you’re left with a “But wait!” feeling, as real life begins again, and there is no way to decipher the dream’s message on such a short notice.

These small segments of the film are huge as the audience is able to relate with the feeling and become further drawn in to the story. Unfortunately for Daniels, a powerful hurricane and hospital officials’ resistance to turn over the missing woman’s records or allow even the marshal to wander the island begins to convey the idea that this island doesn’t give up its guests easily.

The destruction the following day is a blessing in disguise for both Daniels and Aule. As any investigator wishes for new leads in the case, the forces of nature do direct the team to new evidence and open up new locations within the hospital that previously were inaccessible to the marshals.

If you’re left confused midway through the plot, you’re following the film well. It isn’t until the ending where the reason for the dreams, the officials’ stubborn behavior and Daniels’ anger for his lack of evidence all are apparent. Patience is a virtue in this case.

The two-plus hour film will leave some thinking that it’s a waste of time and production, but stick around — very question will be answered.

As with any wide-ranging investigation, what you see is all you get, and “Shutter Island” expresses this notion well — things might not always be as they seem.

Share and discuss “'Shutter Island' keeps audience waiting until end” on social media.