Wells Hall movies so-so this weekend

Carter Moulton

“I Love You, Beth Cooper”

8 p.m. Thursday at Wells Hall

8 p.m. Friday at Conrad Auditorium

7:20 and 9:15 p.m. on both Friday and Sunday at Wells Hall

“Heroes” star Hayden Panettiere plays the title role in Chris Columbus’ “I Love You, Beth Cooper,” a film where opposites collide in the form of a geeky valedictorian and the hottest girl in the school. Columbus has a nice résumé including “Home Alone,” the first two “Harry Potter” films and “Mrs. Doubtfire.” Apparently this movie isn’t portfolio worthy. Rolling Stone Magazine writes, “Aiming for the heartfelt hilarity of ‘Superbad,’ ‘I Love You, Beth Cooper’ is just super bad.”

“Funny People”

7 and 9:30 p.m. on both Friday and Sunday at Wells Hall

“Funny People” is two-and-half hours long — way too long for a buddy comedy — but it contains enough laugh-out-loud moments to merit a viewing. Judd Apatow directs the film, his first since “Knocked Up.” Adam Sandler stars as George Simmons, a big-shot comedian with the lifestyle of a college student. Seth Rogen steals every scene he’s in as Ira Wright, a performer who’s trying to make a career out of comedy. Rogen and Sandler’s paths intersect, along with many other big name stars in a film that’s surprisingly deep.

“Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs”

7:15 and 9 p.m on both Friday and Sunday at Wells Hall

I loved “Ice Age.” I didn’t see “Ice Age: The Meltdown” under the ideal conditions; it was shown as a reward for my high school writing class. I really had no desire to see “Ice Age 3.” The story revolves around Sid (the sloth), who after watching Manny and Ellie’s (mammoths) plans to have a family, wants a family of his own. He steals dinosaur eggs, which backfires, and it’s up to the rest of the gang to rescue him. From what I’ve heard, the third “Ice Age” lacks the originality of the first film and more closely resembles the sequel.

“Terminator Salvation”

7:10 and 9:20 p.m. on both Friday and Sunday at Wells Hall

I saw the premiere of “Terminator Salvation” and director McG was in attendance. I actually misheard his introduction and said aloud to my friends, “Who’s Nick G?” His film is great when the action scenes are pumping, but, like Michael Bay, he seems to have trouble with the human element. The humans act like the machines they are fighting, and the absence of the “Governator” is deeply felt. Christian Bale’s role as John Connor is unintentionally comical at points, mainly because of his infamous on-set tirade. “Terminator Salvation” is a mixed bag of popcorn and rusted metal shards, but if full-blown action is your thing, you’ll more than likely enjoy McG’s film.

Check out the official trailer for Funny People on YouTube

Check out the official trailer for Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs on YouTube

Share and discuss “Wells Hall movies so-so this weekend” on social media.