Monday, July 1, 2024

Services demand shows Olin move doesn't make sense

I think it would be a major mistake to close Olin Health Center and expect the users to transfer their activities to the Clinical Center on Service Road.

I did some nonscientific observing while I spent 30 minutes there earlier this week. At the pharmacy counter and waiting area there always were between four and 10 people waiting or being served.

About one in seven was a faculty or staff person; they were not all students. I counted almost 180 prescriptions in the bins that had been filled.

Also, I watched as the pharmacist came around from behind the counter and helped a student make a decision on an over-the-counter medicine. The pharmacy staff there is exceptional.

But a very important point is being missed in the discussions of whether or not to close this facility. Olin provides a huge variety of other essential services to students, faculty and staff. Besides a pharmacy, Olin also houses an allergy and immunization clinic, a behavioral (mental) health clinic, OB-GYN clinic, a laboratory, physical therapy, medical records and a billing office.

All of the above are very busy, and staffed with friendly, professional people. As I walked into the building, there were eight other individuals entering or leaving at the same time. The location of Olin is ideal for many to walk to it for service, as evidenced by the constant foot traffic.

In addition, the university just built a very nice parking structure right next to Olin. If someone needs to drive there, parking is close by and easy. There are many meters for parking, and several spaces for those with faculty or staff parking passes.

Rather than closing Olin, I think the unused space inside of that building should be used by other department offices or services. With the easy, convenient parking, this could be a center that will provide easy driving access for other services for the campus community.

Nancy Kelly
MSU staff member

Share and discuss “Services demand shows Olin move doesn't make sense” on social media.