Sunday, May 12, 2024

And the winner is...

New Academy rules improve voting scale

Cole Bertsos

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has decided to change the rules on us, so instead of nominating five of the hundreds (or more) movies that come out each year, they are putting 10 films up for the chance of winning the coveted award for Best Motion Picture. It also is changing the way in which it elects the winner from that group, making the academy members rank the films in order of best to worst and then figuring out which one, overall, has received the greatest amount of support from members instead of just voting for one and determining the victor by majority.

This is a much more effective way, on several levels, of deciding the winner. First, and most obviously, it gives exposure to double the number of films than the old restrictions regarding the number of nominees.

Putting these new guidelines into effect also will give independent films the fighting chance to gain the exposure they often deserve. As we all know, some of the best films ever made have flown straight under the radar because of lack of funding to get their names out there. With the free advertisement a Best Motion Picture nomination brings, the films (and their production companies) could earn the means to bring their products out of the dark and into the public eye.

Additionally, speaking simply on a practical basis, the direction in which it is taking the process of voting provides a considerably more accurate account of popularity among the nominees. While it might be more time-intensive to determine the results in this way, being able to average the ranks of all the films is making it so it’s not as cut and dry as getting a certain percentage of the votes and calling it a day would be. Traditionally, majority ruled, so a difference of one vote could make or break a film’s chance at winning the award. This method didn’t take into account the fact that the other 79 percent of the academy may have believed this film was the worst of the worst, when it really only factored in their first choices.

Let us not forget that this also will allow some of the movies that, though they might not deserve the crown of Best Motion Picture, do deserve some recognition for the outstanding job done on the film. “Dark Knight” or “WALL-E,” anyone? Sometimes there’s just not enough room for everyone, but with these new rules put in place by the academy, there will be enough room for a fair percentage of everyone to compete.

Share and discuss “And the winner is...” on social media.