Monday, July 1, 2024

Got protection? Study finds pulling out effective

The pushy guy you hooked up with after $2-pitcher night might have had real evidence when he slurred, “It’s OK, baby, I’ll just pull out.”

The pull-out method, often considered for those “better-than-nothing” situations, competes with condoms in effectiveness, according to a study published in the June issue of Contraception magazine. The study found that pulling out, also known as the withdrawal method, has a 4 percent error rate of pregnancy during the course of a year in perfect use, while condoms have a 2 percent error rate in perfect use.

According to the study, perfect use does not take into account user error, and typical use provides a more realistic estimation of effectiveness. In typical use, the withdrawal method has an 18 percent error rate of pregnancy and condoms have a 17 percent error rate.

Kelly Blanchard, president of Ibis Reproductive Health, which conducts research women’s health, was one of the study’s researchers and said the study stemmed from other research suggesting withdrawal might be a more frequently used type of contraception than previously believed.

“There are often a lot of myths out there about a lot of different contraception methods,” Blanchard said. “This proves in circumstances where you may not have access to another method, then withdrawal is certainly something to consider and definitely better than nothing.”

In a 2008 survey of more than 1,600 MSU students by the National College Health Assessment, 5.2 percent said they used the withdrawal method the last time they had vaginal intercourse and 21 percent said they used this method at least once. Darnell Yelder, a criminal justice junior, admitted to having tried the method but emphasized it should be used by people in committed relationships.

“The pull-out method is wonderful,” Yelder said. “It works all the time if you are in a relationship and dating that person exclusively.”

Although the study said pulling out rivals the effectiveness of condoms, Dennis Martell, coordinator of Olin Health Center education, said holding fire isn’t something men should practice just yet. Martell said timing of a man’s ejaculation is unpredictable and attempting to control ejaculation is unnatural.

“The withdrawal method has all kinds of problems, including that most men don’t know when they reach ejaculative inevitability,” Martell said. “It is not the natural inclination for men to stop and withdraw during consensual vaginal intercourse.”

With the withdrawal method, user error is much more likely, Martell said.

“(Withdrawal) is on the top of our list for user malfunctions,” he said. “Withdrawal method can work if everything goes perfectly right, and there is no pre-ejaculant.”

In addition to the risk of user malfunctions, pulling out offers no protection against sexually transmitted infections. Lansing Community College student Will Dunlap said transmission of diseases is a concern when considering this method.

“You should be using protection anyway,” Dunlap said. “Basically, it should be like an at-risk exercise.”

Jessica Johnson, a medical graduate student and former vice president of MSU’s Medical Students for Choice, said a study such as this could potentially misinform people about viable contraception.

“I think it’s a little worrisome that that sort of study would be out there,” Johnson said. “When you consider contraception, you consider the risk of STIs and birth control. There is no way the withdrawal method would be more safe in terms of preventing STIs and even for reducing pregnancy.”

The study does address STIs, suggesting further research should be done to determine if consistent use of withdrawal reduces transmission. The study concludes by suggesting withdrawal might not be as effective as other methods, but it is better than nothing and should be addressed as a legitimate contraceptive.

“What we are saying is that when you provide information about contraceptives … it should be covered so that people understand how effective (withdrawal) is compared to other methods,” Blanchard said. “We want people to understand if you are going to use it, how to use it correctly. We are not suggesting that it be promoted over other methods, but I think what we are suggesting is that … there needs to be room to talk about the use of withdrawal.”

Share and discuss “Got protection? Study finds pulling out effective” on social media.