Wednesday, July 3, 2024

Sleep, vitamins help boost immune system

There have been plenty of folk remedies, myths and methods to boost immune system response and avoid catching a cold. It’s almost a recipe: some vitamin C here, a multivitamin there and a dash of zinc for good measure.

But when put to the test, do these cocktails really work?

“I take vitamin C or vitamins when I think I’m getting sick,” human biology freshman Kristen Seidel said. “I was just recently sick and I took a multivitamin, which I should do every day anyway, but it didn’t really work.”

Some over-the-counter elixirs work, while the potency of others is exaggerated. A common belief, for example, is that taking multivitamins will prevent people from catching a cold. Olin Health Center Director Dr. Glynda Moorer said such claims about vitamins are valid up to a point.

“For those who don’t get all of the recommended daily vitamins and minerals through their diet, a multivitamin can be helpful,” Moorer said. “Vitamins alone won’t strengthen someone’s immune system, but along with getting enough sleep, exercising and eating well, they can help maintain a person’s immunity and the ability to fight off colds when infected.”

Ronda Bokram, a nutritionist at Olin Health Center, said the use of vitamin C and zinc tablets in particular, with labels saying they “support immune system health” and “reduce the duration of the common cold,” may be helpful to one’s health in small doses, although they don’t provide any guarantees against colds.

“If you are depleted in nutrients already or in a specific nutrient, malnourished or ill, then multivitamin or mineral supplements will probably help. There have been studies promoting zinc use, although we now know that high amounts can actually depress immune response,” Bokram said. “There’s no evidence that mega doses of vitamin C prevent or cure colds.”

Bokram said a daily intake of 75 to 90 milligrams of vitamin C is all that appears necessary.

Besides watching your vitamin and mineral intake, it is important to get at least seven hours of sleep each night, eat a balanced diet, exercise, drink plenty of water and manage stress, Moorer said.

For party lovers, Moorer said alcohol should be consumed in moderation, as it dehydrates the body and reduces immune resistance.

“Too little sleep and too much stress can both lead your body to being more vulnerable to illness,” Moorer said. “What all of these steps do is to keep your body working at its best, which helps it fight off the germs that would otherwise invade a weakened system.”

If you get sick, it’s best to wait it out and take proper precautions, Moorer said.

“There is no proven way to shorten or lessen the severity of the common cold. In most cases, colds will run their course in six to 10 days,” Moorer said. “The cold virus is passed on through the air if someone sneezes or coughs, or through direct contact like shaking hands or kissing. The cold virus also can be passed along through indirect contact by sharing a beverage or touching a doorknob. This is why it is so important to keep hands washed with soap and water and to avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.”

Share and discuss “Sleep, vitamins help boost immune system” on social media.